Full Hunger

Dinner was a feast. It made up for the grueling afternoon really, just when Io had thought nothing was able to. The fragrant scent of cooked rice and spices filled the dining hall, prompting an earnest hunger that begged to be sated. Very much unlike how they were used to sitting apart, the room featured a single table that spanned the entire length of it, displaying dishes of vibrant color and a mix of fragrances.

"Please sit," Reyes said upon turning to the hearts, "make yourselves comfortable. We will begin as soon as the other group arrives." They nodded gratefully, thanking their instructor before filtering into the room.

"So...we go by rank?" Dmitri gestured to the many cushions lined up alongside the dining, turning the attention to Jing. She noted her duty to make a fast decision, pointing out the front-most seat at the head of the table.

"Let Jeremiah sit next to Mr. Reyes. The rest of us can sit at random," the phoenix said, being the first to take a seat. Io found the round cushions very aesthetically pleasing eye, noting that some of them had complex floral designs embroidered on their silk covers.

"Something smells real good," Aaqil glanced around the incredibly long table as he took the seat beside Jing.

Io couldn't disagree. In fact, he wouldn't even be exaggerating if he had said that everything in the room smelled heavenly. There was something about the air he entered the dining—about the way he was invited by the table itself. Io had been eyeing a steaming plate of greens which he had assumed were cooked spinach but looked a little different from the ones he had back home.

"I think it's the adobo chicken," Jeremiah lifted a dome-shaped cover from a very large dish, confirming his suspicions before feeling extremely pleased. "It's probably my uncle's suggestion. He knows I like this."

"Your uncle's really kind," Io complimented quite casually, taking a seat opposite the kite. Naturally, Luka filled the one next to him. "And thoughtful. I can't imagine what it would be like to plan a menu like this."

The room fell quiet.

"We, uh," Dmitri laughed half-heartedly, "have this all the time. Well not this, but like. An equivalent." Io blinked, mildly embarrassed all of a sudden. He turned to Jeremiah.

"Sorry if that sounded a little insensitive...I didn't—"

"Nah," the kite smiled, dismissing his apology with a wave. "Dishes like these do require a lot more planning and preparation compared to some eight-course dinner they have elsewhere," Jeremiah shot back with a sting, smirking a little when Dmitri rolled his eyes at the sound of 'eight-course dinner'.

"I mean you never know," was all he could come up with. "It's not like you do the cooking."

Lucienne had quite enough of this. Io could tell by the look on her face, and the fact that she was so unfortunately seated between the two. "Neither of you cook and if it's food you want to talk about, take this somewhere else because I don't want any saliva in mine."

Io was silently impressed, but before he could catch Luka's attention (preferably with an eye-laugh—wait, did Luka even know what that was?) voices were heard beyond the door to their right, leaving the predators in wait for something new.

It opened; strangers filtered in.

Eyes watched, wary.

"Hello again," the last of the supposed strangers entered, and Io found himself staring at a familiar face.