Expected Turn

It was, perhaps, by some fair chance of luck and misfortune combined that Iolani Tori managed a draw so oddly familiar.

__________________________

The bearded vulture perched on the railings of the balcony, a pouch tied to its feet. Its stare was uncanny—something that none of the Hearts had noticed in the past and only did so now; when times have changed and perspectives no longer dry and fixed. Lucienne went up to the Avian and carefully freed the pouch from his feet.

"Who's going first?"

Dmitri stepped forth without a second to waste, reaching into the bag after the harpy undid its drawstring. A single glance at the charm in his hand called for a contented whistle.

"Ace of Hearts."

Jeremiah snorted. "You don't need to announce it to the world, sweetheart."

"Sure I do, Jerry-o." The falcon made way for Abigail who asked to draw next, leaning against the doorframe to the balcony. "You've only ever got numbers."

Unlike Dmitri, Abby was the kind to keep her role private. This however, would prove unnecessary since the Hearts would end up having to work as a team either way, and there was thus no need for discretion. Or so Io would have advised.

He saw that Odette had drawn twice—once for herself and another for her brother, and it reminded him of the time when he gave Pipa the Mark that he'd drawn during the very first games. The act had made all the difference in the world and paved the path to his present being.

"Sullivan?"

Apart from Vaughn and Jing, everyone else was entitled to a rank and Luka was the last to draw. There were three charms left in the bag and he fished for the first that he touched.

Io peered up at his eagle friend as soon as he returned with a role, gaze alternating between the latter's eyes and closed fist. He needn't say a word; Luka showed it to the curious sparrow.

"Oh! It's the same one from last time."

The King of Hearts nodded.

"Well...it could be a good omen?" His friend laughed before turning to the bearded vulture that had yet to leave. "Do I get to draw too?"

Almost at once, the bearded vulture turned to him with a cock of its head, holding out a dull-coloured pouch that was tied to its other foot. The words 'prey' were embroidered in the middle of the cloth, as though a stark reminder of his place in the order of Flight School.

"Woah woah woah hold on a sec," Dmitri held out an arm to stop Io from approaching the Avian. "Io doesn't get to draw a Heart?"

"Faustes said he wasn't on the team, remember?" Shri reminded the falcon, lips drawing thin. "And his name was on the list..."

It seemed as though Dmitri wasn't the only one who had allowed the fact to slip his mind. Those who had gathered at the balcony exchanged looks—exhaling a single breath that seemed to release, along with it, a tension taut and heavy.

Unease.

"That doesn't sound too bad. I mean," Io sought to address the looks of surprise at his words. "The fact that I'm able to draw a Mark means that the point system is still relevant, right?"