The Quell

Me, Annie and Mags are together on the day of the announcement. We sit in District 4 watching the television, waiting in anticipation for the President's speech. Thankfully, it isn't long before we see Snow's aged face on our screen, glowing with excitement. He taps a small microphone before beginning his speech. Annie clutches my hand.

"Welcome, Panem. As you are all already aware, the seventy-fifth annual Hunger Games is coming up in just under a few months, and our tributes are yet to be announced," he says, to loud cheers and shouts from the adrenalin-infused crowd.

"Every twenty five years, we decided to hold a Quarter Quell, a special Games. Games with a twist," Snow continues, holding up a small, silver envelope. He grabs a small pocket knife and slides it along the top of the envelope, uncovering its secrets.

Slowly, with us captivated in the palm of his hand, he slides out a piece of small parchment paper. He smirks evilly and my heart begins to pound - what horrible fate could he have planned for this year's teenagers?

"This Hunger Games, the male and female tributes from each District will be reaped from their existing pool of victors," he announces, and my mind goes black.

It takes a few minutes for the words to sink in.

Existing pool of victors.

Me. Mags. Emerald. Ray.

Annie.

I have a fifty-fifty chance of going back into the arena, and Annie has a one in three chance. I can't let that happen.

I look at Annie who has let go of my hand and is staring blankly at the television. It's still playing but I can't hear the words clearly.

"Annie?" Mags is saying, shaking her gently by the shoulders. My beautiful girlfriend's face is frozen in a mask of pure horror, her eyes glistening with fear.

I want to put my arms round her and tell her it will be okay but I don't even believe that myself. If I go into the Hunger Games with other experienced fighters, including Katniss Everdeen, the girl from 12 who can shoot a deer in the eye from a mile away, who knows whether I would even stand a chance at winning?

And if Annie is entered, I'll have to enter to protect her. I would never let her to into that place without me. How would I feel if she died whilst I lived?

My second thought is of Johanna. She is the only female from District 7 to have ever won. My best friend and my girlfriend both in the Games? Fuck that.

Then, I'm running out of the house and down to the beach. My feet are bare and get scratched on the tough ground, but I'm numb and oblivious to any physical pain right now. They hit the sand and I'm still running to the place I know the best.

Throwing my shirt onto the cool sand, I dive into the sea and swim for as far as possible underwater until my lungs are begging for air. Emerging from the water, I gasp as I realise it has begun to rain. Heavy, fast raindrops fall clumsily onto my face as I look up at the sky.

A storm is beginning. Shaking my head, I swim furiously and fast, revelling in the refreshing water. Sharp bolts of lightning fly through the air, illuminating District 4. Loudly, thunder rumbles in the distance and I almost laugh at the timing of the storm. I become immune to the freezing temperature of the ocean as I swim around a bit, burning off the anger I feel towards the Capitol.

I stay out until it's dark and then grab my drenched shirt from the beach and wander inside, dripping water on to the floor. Mags fusses over me like she's my mother, as if I'm five years old. I pull her into a caring hug and she doesn't even mind that I'm soaking wet.