Victory

As a deep, dismal cannon booms in the distant sky, announcing the death of my one remaining rival, I look upwards to see a huge Capitol hovercraft whirring and descending. It creates wind, causing dust to rise up and spin in an uncomfortable cloud around me. As it approaches, I see it contains the smiling faces of Mags and Eli, my mentor and stylist. The sound of the aircraft is muffled slightly by the sonorous voice of Claudis Templesmith, official announcer of The Hunger Games, declaring my victory to the entire population of Panem, who must be glued to their television screens in rabidly eager anticipation.

In my few remaing seconds in the arena, I look down at the limp body of Electra, the stunning blonde girl from District 1, pull my glistening trident from her pierced chest and watch crimson blood trickle slowly onto the dry grass.

Then, in one final attempt to preserve my humanity, I crouch down and close her eyelids so she appears to be in nothing but a peaceful dream. Unfortunately for me, families and friends from District 1 will be watching this at home, hating the living daylights out of me and wishing it was my corpse that was stone-cold on the ground instead of hers.

The next few minutes seem to blur into a hazy mess of lights and colours; Electra's body is lifted from the ground and presumably returned to her district; I am collected from the arena and brought onto the huge aircraft; Mags and Eli greet me with hugs and congratulations; Eli and his assistants wash the dirt and blood from my face and body, then dress me in a new and pristine suit, ready for my interview.

Overwhelmed, I collapse on the floor and clutch my head in my hands in a weak attempt to stop my head from spinning so much.

I am the victor of the 65th Hunger Games.

I killed six people. Electra and Aven, from District 1. Foxglove and Penelope, from District 2. Millie, from District 7. Mattius, from District 12. Their faces, voices and piercing screams linger in my mind as Eli fits my suit and brushes my golden hair into a presentable state.

No one realises that my mind is racing with regret, my heart is tightening with fear and my fragile hands are shaking. When I look in the mirror, I don't look like a cold-blooded killer who murdered innocent teenagers; I look like the handsome Finnick Odair that the Capitol citizens can't get enough of. I was showered in sponsors in the arena, my trident, food, medicine, like a spoilt brat from a rich district.

''Finnick,'' Eli is saying, placing a comforting but firm hand on my shoulder and looking into my sea-green eyes. ''You've won, it's over. We knew you could do it.'' I try to speak but words have forsaken me. Instead, they catch in my throat and choke me.

Before I can ask for a few minutes alone to gather my thoughts, I already can hear the charming voice of Caesar Flickerman, the blue-haired, charismatic presenter, proudly proclaiming my victory to the ecstatic audience, who shout and cheer like wild animals when I step shakily on to the stage. I have to act as if this is the best thing to have ever happened to me. I have to be happy. I am alive, I made it. The Hunger Games are over.

A smile begins to spread across my face as I shake hands with Caesar, who always made me laugh in our interviews and who I could possibly consider a friend.

''Finnick Odair, everybody!'' he exclaims as we both take our seats in comfortable leather chairs. Crazily-dressed Capitol citizens stamp their feet and some even throw red roses onto the stage. Looking out, I can see that many of them have adorned their hair with seashells and tinted their eyebrows turquoise, some of District 4's main attributes.

''I knew it. I knew it as soon as you stepped onto this stage, with your flirtatious winks and incredibly toned arms,'' - a laugh rings out from the audience - ''that you would be the victor of the Games. You evidently have many fans from the Capitol and even from Districts other than your own, especially after forming an alliance with Hannah from District 3,'' Caesar says proudly, but I wince as I think of Hannah gasping in pain as a tribute from 12 choked and beat her to death whilst I was busy defending myself from rabid mutts, sent by the Capitol to kill us for entertainment.

''So Finnick, now that the Games are over - could you tell us something we didn't know, perhaps something we may have missed from the television. A secret, about your time in the arena?'' Caesar prompts, as the crowd whisper to eachother excitedly. I hesitate before speaking.

''I'm not sure that I have any secrets, but I want to say thank you to all my sponsors - I mean, I literally couldn't have won without the trident. And the medicine saved not only my life, but Hannah's too at one point,'' I mumble, feeling embarrassed. Caesar probably wanted a juicy secret, such as hidden feelings for Hannah - but we were only friends.

''And what is the first thing you plan to do when you return home to District 4?'' Caesar asks, leaning forwards and fixing his eyes on mine. He awaits my response with baited breath.

I presume that locking myself in my bedroom and sleeping is not an appropriate answer, but it's the only thing I feel like doing at the moment.

------------

A/N: I am in the process of editing the story (as of 03/01/2016), so please excuse any mistakes, inconsistencies and changes. There aren't many, but I am very aware of them. Hope you enjoy the story, it has been so successful and that makes me so happy! Please remember to vote and comment if you do like it - keep reading, it gets better! xxx