Escape (Part Two)

As the train grinds to a halt in the station, me and Johanna grab our bags and make a quick exit from the carriage onto the platform.

"Hurry up," snaps Johanna, walking at least ten metres ahead of me.

I fumble around with the suitcases that awkwardly trail behind me. They clutter and clunk along the ground, making it difficult to pull them along. My whole body swelters under the heat of my thick fur coat and the busy crowds of the station. We stick out like sore thumbs amongst the simple black uniforms of District 3, like brightly coloured tropical birds amongst sparrows.

"Seriously," Johanna says angrily, her face stern. It's okay for her, she only has a snakeskin handbag, whilst I have to pretend to be the loving husband carrying his wife's heavy suitcases for her.

"Maybe if you carried your own suitcase, we'd be a lot faster," I retort, seeing that the journey is taking its toll on Johanna. Her eyes are sleepy and mascara-smudged.

Suddenly, she crashes into a man and child, who look startled by the woman dressed so strangely.

"Sorry," Johanna says sweetly, putting on a fake voice with a sarcastic undertone. It's as if her real self is trying to escape the disguise. The man and child look almost terrified, hurrying away without a word.

"Come on," she says, turning to face me. "We need to get a taxi to the other station."

Johanna has everything planned out perfectly. She has bought fake IDs, made disguises and booked train tickets under our new names, Cynthia and Oberon Flutewhistle. We're both aged 25, married last year, on a District tour to celebrate Cynthia's birthday.

Rolling my eyes, I carry on wheeling the suitcases along the granite floor. Johanna struts ahead, occasionally snapping pictures with a disposable camera, typically-tourist like. We reach the outside of the station, where we hail a taxi. The driver helps us load our bags, and then we're ready to go.

"Station 2, please," says Johanna to the driver, her Capitol accent impeccable and flawless, as she climbs into the back seat.

"Of course, ma'am," says the driver, starting up the engine. "So, you two are from the Capitol?"

"Yeah," I say, making my voice deeper than usual. "We're on a trip for Cynthia's birthday, aren't we?"

Johanna giggles, sounding like a completely different person. "Yes, it was a surprise present. We've loved in it 3, and are on our way to 8 now," she simpers, lying about our destination. Just in case.

"Great," the driver says unenthusiastically, and the conversation grinds to a halt. Sensing this, he turns on the radio and I close my eyes, drifting in and out of consciousness. The radio presenter waffles on about nothing for a while, until something captures my attention.

"... no news on the disappearance of two Hunger Games victors, Johanna Mason and Finnick Odair. Mason, aged 20 and Odair, aged 18, have been missing since Friday evening. Any information must be reported to the Capitol or to Peacekeepers immediately. Anyone in connection with Mason and Odair should report for questioning immediately, failure to do so will not be taken lightly."

I glance at Johanna, whose face is a perfect mask of nonchalance.

"They are expected to be heading towards either District 4 or 7. Sightings to be reported immediately. Thank you, Panem."

The taxi driver sighs and turns down the radio as a cheesy pop song begins to play.

"Stupid kids," he comments. "They have everything, and they're running away from it all."

"Yeah," I agree, shrugging. "Perhaps fame isn't all it's cracked up to be."

"I guess," the driver says, but he doesn't sound convinced. "You love them in the Capitol, right?"