Bonus 3

Woebegone – Bonus 3

        T A I N T E D   T E M P E R A M E N T

Tristan

                Rain pelted on my leather jacket as I made my way towards home. My head was sulking down, watching the drops splash onto the ground.  Usually, I go home by car; but tonight, I‘m mood for it. Walking with the clouds above my head seemed to be a better choice. While walking down the pavements, I received a call from a good friend of mine.

                “Yo, Trist! This is the first time I see you leave so early! What’s up with you? Man, you sure have a lot of first times this week. Lost your streak in the chips... Got nothing in the slot machines ten times straight... Then the cards—”

                “That’s enough, Preston,” I snapped back him, cutting his lines short.

                “Man, are you having issues or what?” he teased me mockingly.

                I shoved my phone into my pockets. It just seemed impractical to pursue my hobby any further. All luck had been seeped out of me. There’s no point of going further when the odds are always against you. I had nearly lost everything to the point that playing another time would risk all that I had. I didn’t believe what Preston told me anymore. I didn’t want to play with him any longer. Considering my already poor performance this week, most likely I would blow everything if I tried one more time.

                “Lady Luck’s not on your side anymore?” I heard his pestering voice come up again. Out of frustration, I tossed the phone into the street; and I watched it roll into a horizon of darkness. I clenched my fist as angry thoughts swirled in my mind.

                Tina. Tybalt. Travis. Tiffany.

                For a brief second, the faces of my children flashed in my mind. Those three were the most annoying kids I had especially that bratty daughter of mine. It made me thought of throwing up whenever she presented that awful smile of hers. And now, my favorite boy’s deviating from my side. What did he eat these days? How dare he start showing emotions — useless emotions! They were nothing but stumbling blocks in your life. Their only purpose was to render you susceptible. Happiness only lasted for a short while before it decayed to bitterness; and from there, depression arrived. Anger led to fights, and fights headed to the path of depression as well. No matter what angle you started out, you’ll end up bruised with sorrow. Why not stay neutral? It was better that way. I can't stand seeing him get along with his siblings. He should be with me and only me — with his father who can properly teach him the ways of life.

                I entered the back door only to be greeted by darkness. I ran my fingers on the wall until I felt the light switch and flicked it open. Then out of nowhere, there she was, standing beside the staircase. Tina. This was the first time she stayed up so late to greet me. Or was there something in her mind?

                “Kill her.”

                No. Not yet. Careful planning was crucial, but the voices in my head were disagreeing with me.

                “Throw a chair. Brandish a knife. Hug her then strangle her. Now when you still have the chance.”

                Rage was beginning to boil in my head once more. I felt a vein pulsating, but it went away upon hearing her calm voice — her calm and gentle voice that resembled the voice of a very familiar person.