Epilogue

Woebegone – Epilogue

Tracy

                A week passed, and things remained more or less the same. Travis showed a blank face the entire time and barely talked anymore. I didn’t have any reason to blame his silence. Besides, I felt the same — hollow and melancholic. Tiffany never spoke a single word since then; but the ECG continued beeping, giving us relief. Guilt still swarmed my conscience though.

                If I knew how to cut off my emotions, then I wouldn’t have any feelings of reluctance or fear and simply blurt my secret to them right away. But at the same time, I wouldn’t know how to express my love for them. I never wanted this to happen — not even the slightest. I loved them… I really did… After revealing the truth to Travis, he didn’t show any signs of anguish (to my relief). As for Tiffany, there was nothing I could say to her. Even if I do, she wouldn’t be able to hear it, since she’s in a coma right now… I wished I was stronger… I wished I could reset time… I wished...

                “Mom…?” Travis called out to me, but my mind wandered off some more. Whenever I looked at my son, I could see it in him… He has grown up to be more mature compared to the last time I saw him. He’s no longer the baby boy I thought he’d be until today. To my surprise, he actually learned how to take care of himself and be more independent. I guess I didn’t have to worry after all, but Tiffany outsmarted him and me in every way possible. If only Tina was still here… if only…

                “Mom,” Travis hollered once more, managing to break my train of thought this time.

                “Yes, Travis?” I answered, looking at him straight in the eye.

                “Do you… hate her for doing those actions…?” he asked me, his face quite droopy.

                “I-I…” I trailed off, still pondering of what to say. “I don’t… I-I can’t blame her, knowing that she has a lot going with her life... But if she could still listen to my words, I want her to know how much I still accept her as her daughter. Now that we’re reunited, I would take care of both of you. I promise I won’t fail you guys again.”

                “Thank you,” Travis replied with a simple nod. I guess that he's tired of me saying the same thing, but I really am sorry for everything.

                The air of silence was thick. It only made the sounds coming from the ECG echo. I merely stared at Travis whose eyes were focused on Tiffany’s bandaged arms the entire time.

                “Mom…”

                I heard someone whisper my name. My eyes instantly flickered, and I sat upright. It didn’t take me long before I realized whose voice it was. Immediately, the two of us looked at her; and we were surprised to see her eyes half-opened. The first thing she saw was my face followed by Travis’s. She formed a small smile, invigorating my spirits.

                “Tiffany?” I called out to her as the tears started dripping down and landed on her blanket. “Tiffany! You’re — You’re awake!” Ecstasy and joy slowly replaced the anguish and sorrow that had been occupying my soul for the past week. Just hearing her voice painted colors on my black and white atmosphere. I was sure this was also true for Travis’s case as well, for he also showed the same emotions as I.

                I gave her a hug, tenderly kissed her cheeks, and replied, “I miss you so much… I—”

                “Forgive me…?” she interrupted, slowly lifting her feeble arm. I wasted no time in reaching to her.

                “Of course! The past doesn't matter... I’m just so happy to see you… my precious daughter… thank the heavens indeed…” I cried with joy, gently squeezing her right hand. The tears wouldn't stop flowing out of my eyes, but I didn’t mind.

                “That’s… wonderful…” she smiled. While Travis gave her a hug, I walked towards the window and slowly opened the curtains, revealing the sun descending down the hills and shining its crimson rays towards us. The warmth gave me the pleasant atmosphere just like the one back at home.

                Home…That made me remember my original abode. I can’t wait to go back home. Living alone in the apartment never made me comfortable anyway.

                “Tiffany…” I heard Travis spoke up.

                “You… don’t… have to tell… me…” she replied back. Though her face was bandaged all around, I could see her tears flowing out of her eyes.

                “Promise me — no — promise us that you won’t do it again?” he held her left palm with a wistful look.

                She looked at me before replying, “Yes… I promise… Travis… and… Mom…” I heard everything while I was asleep… Your voices… especially hers… I felt life coming back again… And I think… there’s one more...”

                “What is it?” Travis asked, his tears still flowing. We crept closer to her before hearing her answer.

                “Love.”