Bonus 1

Woebegone – Bonus 1

        O N E   L A S T   T I M E

Tracy

                We were in the living room — just the two of us, Tristan and I. In fact, I was the one who called him to have a chat. We needed to talk about something very crucial — something that affected the entire family. My bloodshot eyes were fixed to his carefree ones. I was mad. I couldn't stand it any longer. No matter how much I screamed at him, my point wasn't getting noticed.

                “Tristan, please!” I begged once more, clenching my fists on my sides. Every time the minutes passed, my frustration rose and temptations of filing a divorce were overwhelming me more and more. But I can't do that. Divorce? Ridiculous. Not when my family's blessed with four wonderful children. All the more I can't when Tina's going to have her college graduation in a few months. If I leave now, she'd be devastated; and not only her but also Tybalt, Travis, and especially Tiffany who just turned fifteen a few days ago.

                “Tracy, don't worry,” he repeated his words over and over again. I shook my head in dismay, crossing my arms. He drew closer to me to give me a kiss, but I stepped backwards, outright rejecting it. What was he thinking? If kisses would solve everything, then there would be such thing as world peace.

                “Don't worry?” I echoed his words sarcastically. “How can I simply pretend like the situation's okay when you're the one who's practically ruining everything?!” I scratched the sofa to the point that the fabric started to tear.

                He placed his hand over mine, making my temper rise. He was not helping at all. When Tiffany started high school, at the same time, Tristan began to become obsessed with his newly found hobby, gambling. I despised it. He even had the nerve to quit his job as a manager before sticking himself to the casino twenty-four seven. That was why I wanted to talk to him. Our funds were getting lower and lower; and eventually, we'd be crawling in the streets! Some “example” to his children!

                “I would appreciate it even the slightest if you'd just stop,” I spoke sternly, removing my hand from his and glared at him. “My efforts are being wasted.”

                “But you could support everyone here!” he replied, slouching on the sofa. That was it. I couldn't stand it any longer. Immediately, I stood up and slapped him hard without hesitation. What does he think of me, a cash generator?! And his carefree attitude was pissing me off even more.

                “If money did grow on trees, then you can put your lazy ass to work!” I screamed at him. I didn't want to swear, but at this time, I just couldn't help it. I could feel the heat in my head rising, making my face redder than before. But his, on the other hand, was just his natural shade. How can he be like this?! How can he act like nothing's wrong?!

                “Then you can leave if you want!” he shouted back. “Just give me the money, and I'll take care of things.” In his perspective, I seemed to have crossed the line as well, since he stood up afterwards and started yelling at me. I tried to keep the language to a safer side, since the kids were upstairs, but in no time, I would completely lose control of myself.

                Both of us exchanged tantrums and complaints. “Some father you are!” I yelled at him. “Oh how I feel bad for them for having a parent as irresponsible as you!”

                “And how about you?!” he responded, rising from the sofa. “A ‘wife’ that doesn't understand her own husband! How about we just split? Maybe it's better that way!” When I heard those words from him, I felt as if my heart cracked. Somehow, it seemed like that to me at an angle.