Chapter Twenty-Five

A/N: Okay! So the epilogue should be coming in just a little bit. I want y'all to know - THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER BEFORE THE EPILOGUE. That's right, The Game is coming to a close, which is sad, BUT, then I get to start work on the sequel!! Which is great news!!

Anyway, here goes!

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Five

Jenna was in recovery for what seemed like days. In reality, it had only been seven hours. To me, that was fourteen hours, including surgery time, that I had been away from her. I hadn’t been able to fall asleep in the waiting room like everyone else had. How can they sleep when they know she’s in there? How can they sleep when they know their daughter, their friend will probably never wake up? I was sick with worry over the only girl in my life that I could actually say I loved. 

I walked down the hallways of the hospital, scanning for the doctor that prayed with me. I had some questions for her. “Sir, visiting hours aren’t until eight,” someone said from behind me. I turned around to see the same doctor that performed surgery on my girl. 

“Dr. Burns.”

“You were the young man with the Bouanchaud case. You should get some sleep.” He looked like he pitied me. 

“I just need to speak with one of the doctors on the case. She was short, blonde, small.” I wracked my brain, trying to remember what color she was wearing, but couldn’t remember. “She’s a Christian.”

When I said that she was a Christian, the doctor’s face lit up. “That was Dr. Barley. She’s in the on call room. Do you need her?”

I nodded. “I just have a couple of questions for her.”

“I’m sure I can answer those questions for you.” He folded his arms and leaned back, looking down at me like he was better than me. 

“These are God questions. I don’t think you’re going to be able to answer them.” He hardly seemed like the Christian type.

“I’m a Christian.”

“Right, and I’m Obama. May I please speak with her?”

Dr. Burns tipped his chin up even more. “Yes. Just go back and wait for her in the waiting room.” 

“Thank you, sir.”

I followed his orders and slowly made my way back to the waiting rooms. Nobody had moved since my departure, which wasn’t exactly a surprise. I paced back and forth outside of the room, looking down the hallway, waiting for Dr. Barley. Fifteen minutes later, I saw her walking towards me. She covered her face with her elbow as she yawned.

She didn’t smile at me when she stopped in front of me. “Dr. Burns said that you requested me specifically?”

I nodded. “You’re the one that prayed with me. You’re a Christian.”

“Yes.”

“You said that you believed God would heal her. Then you said that she’d probably never wake up.”

“Yes. Do you remember what else I said? I said that it could be days, months or years until she wakes up, but she will.”

“What about amnesia?”

“Doubtful. When she wakes up, she may not remember how she got here or what happened a few hours before, but that’s normal.”

“So she’ll remember me? She’ll remember us? And she won’t remember how pigheaded I was?”