Chapter 7 - The Fortune Telling Tree

“You are in my way and you are wasting my time – get out of my way or die.” Sesshomaru threatened, ready to draw his sword.

“No. I refuse to. I do not care who you are, Lord Sesshomaru,” The female demon mocked, “That wretched wolf over there killed my mate – my love.”

Hana hopped off Ah-Un and walked over to where the two stood. She couldn’t help but feel a bit of guilt for the female oni. Hana herself had never been in love before and didn’t really know what it felt like, but for this female to stand up to someone such as Sesshomaru for the sake of her lost mate, that must have been love, and she had taken that away from the oni.

“Lord Sesshomaru,” Hana spoke shyly, “You all should go ahead – It’s me that she wants; I’m sure I’ll be able to find you guys after I’m done here.” She shot him a bright – but fake - smile. For a few seconds, he didn’t reply.

“Very well then; Rin, Jaken, come.” He said, not hesitating to turn around and walk away. Hana frowned a bit at Sesshomaru’s uncaring manner. 

In no time, they were gone, hidden by the forest trees. Hana wondered if she really would be able to find them when she was done – if she survived. She had no clue how powerful this demon was.

What if she was more powerful and more intelligent than her mate was? The wolf princess hadn’t thought of this before.

“You bitch! You smell of nothing but his blood!” The oni snarled through gritted teeth; her big eyes seemed like they were beginning to water.

“I’m sorry – I really am - , but I had no choice. Your ‘mate’ tried to eat my friend. I can help you if you want, though. You can be with him once again – in the netherworld.” Hana had no intention of sounding threatening (or idiotic), and she meant everything that she had said – she really was willing to kill the demon, but only so that she could be with her lover. Hana never was a violent youkai, one of the many things that led to her being called a weak and pathetic excuse for a wolf demon by some of the others in the tribe. The ogre looked at Hana, surprised at first, but that surprise soon became replaced by pure anger.

“I would never give my life up to the likes of you!” She stated, as furious as ever, as she made a display of her sharp teeth. Hana was close enough that the oni had no need to run toward her, so instead, it gave a fierce swipe of its claws – almost like Hana had on that faithful day near the river. Hana took a step back just in time to – barely – dodge the attack, and that was when her instincts kicked in. She pulled out the Shinoken, and with a swift wipe of her blade had managed to cut off the oni’s head – something she hadn’t really intended to do. She stood there for a moment, contemplating what she was to do now. Seeing that she wasn’t as exhausted as the first time she’d killed a demon, Hana made a decision.

She buried the female demon – head and all – and then, putting Shinoken back in its sheath, proceeded to walk away in the direction Sesshomaru had left in. She took a last glance back at the pile of dirt that covered the ogre’s body and then disappeared into the trees.

____________________________________________________________

“I’m certain they came this way! I’m still picking up Lord Sesshomaru’s scent!” Hana scolded herself while sniffing the air, trying to pick up exactly what direction Sesshomaru and the others had gone. She knew deep down that something like this was bound to happen, but still refused to admit to herself that she was lost. Hana sat herself down at the foot of a tree and sighed, deciding to take a rest since she’d been walking for a while.

“Are you lost, my child?”

A voice, coming out of nowhere, startled Hana. She looked up to see a tree with what looked like the face of an elderly woman on its trunk talking to her.

Why hadn’t she noticed that before?

“You…You’re talking to me?” She asked a bit frightened, pointing to herself.

“Who else would I be talking to, child? A ghost?” the tree laughed at her. “I asked you a question. Are you lost?”

“No. No I am not lost. I ‘m just tired – that’s all.” Hana shook her head violently, refusing to admit to neither the tree nor her that she was indeed lost.

The elderly tree laughed once more.

“Well in that case, how about you let me tell you what future lies in store for you?”

“My… future…? So you’re a fortune telling tree then. That’s….odd.” Hana stopped and thought for a moment. The tree’s offer was tempting. Though it was a known fact that the future could not really be predicted because of how often it is changed by the decisions people make, Hana thought that it would still be nice to know what could happen. Still, she did not know if the tree could really be trusted.

She looked back up at the tree that was patiently waiting for an answer. It didn’t seem like an evil tree.

“O…okay…,” Hana answered, a bit hesitant, “I guess it won’t hurt. And I guess you could tell me whether I’ll find Lord Sesshomaru or end up perishing here.” She whispered the last part. The tree chuckled.

“Okay, so tell me what lies in store for me, tree!” Hana shouted with a sudden burst of enthusiasm. There was a period of silence after that, and other than the soft rustling of leaves, nothing sounded.

“I see that great heartache and uncertainty an even greater challenge in store for you as you journey farther away from home, young wolf. Be wary of those who try to persuade you to think differently from the way you normally do.”

Hana frowned, disappointed. What a waste of time.

“But you need not worry. You must always remember to have hope, and with that I can surely tell you that you will prevail over all your troubles. Have hope and your future will be a fruitful one.”

The wolf princess sat in silence, taking in everything that the tree – who sounded so very wise – was saying.

“You should get going, Hana, if you don’t want to end up more lost than you already are.” The tree said pleasantly as it noted the look of surprise on Hana’s face.

She stood up and nodded in agreement at what the elderly tree had said, not questioning how it had known her name without her ever mentioning it.

“You are right. Thank you, for your…advice.” Hana bowed, thanking the tree, before turning and walking away. By now, Sesshomaru’s scent had become even more distant.

As she walked away, Hana remembered that, without Sesshomaru, she’d be long dead by now, and for a brief second – as the realization that she was all alone began to kick in - she felt like panicking. Then, she remembered the words of the tree.

Heartache and challenges……but have hope.

She looked up at the leafy canopy that hid the morning sky.

I’ll find them. Hana smiled another of her reassuring smiles, only this time it wasn’t to Rin.

You’re not lost. She told herself, smiling. A bit too optimistic, yes, but still, she was trying her hardest to take the advice of the wise old tree that, apparently, knew everything – including her name.