Chapter 1 - Runaway Heiress

• Dedicated to Yasmin - who's always making sure I actually finish this fanfic (:

" With each day that goes by I am becoming less and less convinced that you deserve to be rightful heir of these lands!" The wolf lord growled down at his silent daughter.

"Leave my sight at once! No longer do I want to hear about your aimless wanderings and silly ventures outside."

Without a word, the demoness turned away from her enraged father and stormed up to her room, trying her best to conceal the anger and frustration beginning to well up within her. She slammed the screen door shut behind her and immediately sank to the floor, flustered. 

Wolves were meant to run free and roam the lands. But in this place that she was forced to call a home, there was no such thing as freedom. At least not for her. Her freedom would only come when she stopped focusing on what lay beyond the tribe and found a mate to rule with. Anything less than that and her father would surely throw a fit.  

Perhaps, even then he would find a reason to talk down to her - to remind her of how much she lets down her mother. So then, why did it matter if she remained obedient or not? 

The wolf princess looked up and out the large window near her bed, her heart racing and her eyes teary. The night was still and the dark blue sky, starry. Suddenly, a thought came to her. 

If her father hated the idea of her becoming ruler so much - she was too immature and unfocused, he would say to her -  then, why did she bother to stay? Surely, he could find someone better.

There was so much more beyond the tribe's well-developed houses and large gates - so much more to see and experience. Yet, here she was, locked up like nothing more than the wolf lord's ornament. 

The demoness, Hana, rose to her feet. 

The Southern Wolf Tribe did not need her. 

Hana stared at her mirror while brushing her long,  white hair, lost in thought. As she sat there, she contemplated the things she would need for her little 'outing' – if she would really need anything at all. She wasn't quite sure, for she'd never done something such as this before. Some water would be essential, she guessed, although not much because she could simply retrieve water from a river - or the rain - whenever she runs out; for food she could easily find some berries or a small animal in the forest, or maybe even raid a nearby human village if she were to ever become famished – which wasn't very often. 

Of course, she would need protection – she would have to be very stupid to not realize that what she was about to do, leaving the safety of the southern wolf tribe, would be dangerous. Her wolf-like abilities wouldn't suffice – of this she was certain. She wasn't nearly as strong as any of the warriors of the tribe. She set down her brush and lifted her head to gaze up at a sword which was mantled right above her mirror. It was the sword that her mother had given to her before her untimely passing.

Hana's mother was a fighter and one of the tribe's greatest warriors; how she'd ended up mating with such an ignorant hothead as her father, she was not sure. When her mother had given her the sword, although Hana knew that chances of her ever finding the opportunity to be able to use it would be slim, she had been honored to have been gifted with the great sword – the Shinoken, was what her mother called it. She had been told that when the moment was right, she would be able to wield Shinoken, and though she had no clue as to when that moment would arise, Hana knew that her mother's sword would come in handy when it came to protecting herself.

She imagined all the dangers that she could encounter: bloodthirsty demons – and not to mention, human bandits and thieves, and possibly even slightly dangerous animals. Come to think of it, one of the greatest threats of the feudal era – especially for a young, inexperienced girl like herself – were human males. The things that a human would do to try to get his hands on a female yokai – filthy bastards.

 After putting her hair back in its usual braid, she stood up and stretched up towards the sword. She carefully lifted the Shinoken off its mantle and observed the fine craftsmanship of its sheath. She gazed out the window as she had the night she was crying on the floor.

She would leave tonight.

____________________________________________________________________________

"Is this how you plan to live the rest of your days? Full of pride and without love? You can't go on like this forever you know. Even the most powerful of demons need a mate sometime in their lives. As powerful as you may be, you are not a god, therefore you are not going to live forever, and it would be best if you had an heir. I hope you realize this."

"This Sesshomaru does not need love – or a 'mate', for that matter. I shall leave the pitiful emotions to the humans."

"Whatever you say, Sesshomaru, but when you get lonely...,"

Sesshomaru's mother's sarcastic 'sigh' rang through his ears, causing the demon to awake from his slumber. Though his face was blank and expressionless, his mind ran wild as he sat in the branches of a large tree. These constant dreams of his mother nagging him about whether or not he was 'lonely' were becoming quite bothersome.

This Sesshomaru... lonely, Sesshomaru scoffed to himself. I am Lord of the Western Lands, and one of the most feared demons of my time. Why would I ever fall victim to a pathetic emotion such as love?

He looked up at the moon as it illuminated his already lustrous silvery-white hair. And as he gazed thoughtlessly at the night sky, a sudden scent caught his sensitive nose.

...the scent of blood?