Chapter 5 - Take Me with You, Lord Sesshomaru

Hana observed Sesshomaru eagerly but from a distance as he sat in a tree watching Rin spend time with Jaken and Ah-Un. Meanwhile, she assisted Lady Kaede in gathering some much needed herbs – it was the least she could do to thank the old woman for being so kind to her. Every now and then, she would take a glance at him trying to figure out who exactly this demon was and why he’d done so much for her. Hana couldn’t help but feel as if she hadn’t thanked him enough after he’d saved her from being forcefully mated to one of her father’s men – after he’d saved her for the second time.

He looked so elegant, sitting there with his face so blank and unreadable. She wondered what he hid under that cold and emotionless mask of his. Since the first time she saw him, she had never seen him smile – not even once. He seemed so powerful and so noble; she wondered what would make someone like him smile. 

Sesshomaru must have sensed Hana’s staring, because he then lifted his head and looked over at her. She quickly shifted her focus from him to the herbs she was collecting. Her face turned a light shade of pink, though she didn’t really know why – she didn’t like him, or at least she didn’t like him that way. She admired him for all he’d done, but she was certain that was all there was to it – he was still a stranger to her.

“If ye really want to talk to him, ye should – though ye shouldn’t get ye hopes up for an answer,” Kaede’s voice snapped the young wolf demon out of her trance – almost like the first time they’d met. She looked up at Kaede, surprised.

Maybe she’s right. I have to thank him some more – get to know him, maybe. Hana thought.

“Thank You, Lady Kaede – I will.” she said, as she looked over to where Rin and company sat. “I will as soon as I finish helping you here.”

 ∞

“Oh Sesshomaru, you really have changed over the past few years. Using this wolf girl so the human can travel with you once more without her life being in danger – you’re becoming more and more like your father.” His mother’s indifferent tone of voice resembled that of his own.

Sesshomaru didn’t answer.

He had gotten used to his ‘dreams’ by now, and had also come to the conclusion that they weren’t dreams at all. His mother must have probably found herself some kind of sorcerer to enable her to infiltrate her son’s dreams so that she could nag him about pointless little things.

“I think the girl has taken a liking to you. You definitely are becoming nicer than you once were.” She looked at him, probably trying to see if she could manage to get some sort of reaction out of her son.

He simply looked at her.

“Oh, you’re not speaking to me…? How saddening.” There was a small trace of sarcasm in the Lady Mother’s voice. “Well in that case, for now I bid you farewell, Sesshomaru.”

Her voice soon became nothing but a distant echo in the back of Sesshomaru’s head as he opened his eyes and gave an audible “hmph”, – so much for sleep. His mother really did know how to play with his mind and put him in very bad moods.

After finally mustering up enough courage to do so, Hana effortlessly hopped up into the tree that Sesshomaru sat in. Of course, he’d heard her coming, but there was still a slight hint of surprise in his eyes as she sat next to him.

“Hi there,” she said, smiling brightly, trying her hardest not to say something stupid. She knew she had a terrible habit of doing exactly so – or so her father had once told her.

The sun was now beginning to set, and below them, Rin and Jaken seemed to have been having a friendly conversation – Although Jaken seemed to have a trace of annoyance on his face.