Chapter 13

As Danielle was waking up, she felt pain shooting through her entire body. The images of James kept flashing through her head. She woke up with a gasp, sitting up on her bed and franctically blinking her eyes. Someone put an arm around her, hugging her closely. She saw the familiar blonde locks, and relaxed in Jasper's arms.

"Jasper." she said with tears in her eyes "What happened?" she asked.

"Relax, darling'." he said shooting a wave of calmness in her direction.

Danielle sensed it but she let it be. She let go of Jasper, and cupped his face in her hands.

"You're alright. You didn't get hurt, did you?" Danielle said looking away from his eyes, and inspecting him.

"I'm alright." Jasper said taking Danielle's hands away from his face, and putting them on her lap "You are the one who got hurt." he looked down at the floor "And you got hurt because of me. I couldn't even protect you." ha said with guilt and sadness in his voice.

Danielle put her right hand on his cheek, and lifted his head up, so that Jasper would look into her eyes.

"I'm fine." she said stroking his cheek with her thumb "I'm alive. And it wasn't your fault. I'm the one who didn't listen and ran away with Bella to James."

"No, Danielle. If I didn't invite-" Danielle cut Jasper off, by giving him a peck on his lips.

"Major Jasper Whitlock. When a woman is speaking, you ought not to argue with her." Danielle said with a playful stern voice, furrowing her eyebrows "Am I clear?" she smiled at him.

Jasper sighed, knowing he wouldn't win this fight.

"Crystal clear, ma'am." he answered with his Texas accent, and a soldier-like voice.

"Oh my gosh, you're so cute!" Danielle said throwing her arms around his neck, smiling.

Jasper only chuckled before Danielle pulled away.

"So what with James?" she asked, suddenly turning serious.

"We killed him. Bella got her leg broken and was brought to the hospital. Partly because Edward drank a bit more than just the venom, James injected in her. But she's home already. Your mother and father wanted to wait here until you got better, but Charlie needed to go back to work. And your mother needed to go back because something happened in Jacksonville. I told them that I'll take care of you and get you home when you're better." Jasper explained.

It pained Danielle that her mother didn't stay until she got better. She understood that Charlie needed to work but Renee didn't have any work and just followed Phil everywhere. But she couldn't be upset about it. After all she was the one who always kept Renee on distance.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Jasper asked with worry.

Danielle snapped out of her thoughts, and looked into his golden-brown eyes.

"Ofcourse." she smiled "I just needed a moment to let all the information sink in." she told Jasper.

He smiled back at her and got up from the bed.

"I'll go get the nurse and tell them you woke up." he said and kissed Danielle's forehead.

"I'll be waiting." Danielle said sweetly as Jasper closed the door behind him.

As soon as she saw the door close, silent tears rolled down her cheeks and soon turned into small sobs. Danielle tried to stop but she couldn't. After a few minutes she heard footsteps heading in the direction of her room. She quickly wiped away her tears and looked at the door. A doctor came in with a smile.