Chapter 5

The car ride was silent. Danielle and Jasper took hers and Bella's truck, and Jasper drove Danielle home.

"Why did you help me? I thought you said we shouldn't be friends." Danielle told Jasper, breaking the silence.

"I said we shouldn't, not that I didn't want to." The blonde said without any emotion in his voice.

Danielle started to get nervous at his statement. She didn't understand his mood swings, and that made her anxious. Then a wave of calmness hit her and she could speak again.

"Why do you think we shouldn't be friends, if you want us to?" She asked looking at the boys' face.

"It's dangerous for you." Jasper said softly, with a serious face without looking at her.

"What's dangerous?" The girl didn't give up.

"I am." Jasper said slightly raising his voice.

Danielle took a deep breath trying to stay calm. Her heart started pounding louder and faster. Jasper sensed it trying to calm the girl once more.

"Because you're a vampire?" Danielle said not looking away from Jasper.

The boy stopped the car abruptly making Danielle gasp from surprise. He pulled the car to the side of the road. He seemed angry and annoyed but also a little relieved.

"How did you know?" he asked turning to look at Danielle.

"Well it wasn't hard to figure out." Danielle smiled at the boy.

Suddenly the girl felt fear floating up. She looked Jasper in the eye realising that the blonde was behind her sudden fear.

"Can you stop that?" she asked.

Jasper seemed surprised for a moment as he stopped using his powers.

"So you're not afraid?" he asked Danielle raising his eyebrow.

"Afraid? Of you?" Danielle chuckled at the statement "Why would I be? I mean the worst that can happen is when I become your dinner but I doubt that. You're too good to do that." she smiled looking at Jasper the whole time.

Jasper seemed to be deep in thought as he got out of the car. Danielle followed him. Jasper was standing beside the car on the passenger's side. As Danielle closed the door he flashed in front of her.

"And now?" he asked demanding.

"Well you're fast." Danielle stated.

The blonde hit the truck beside Danielle's head, startling the girl, and making her lean on the car.

"Nope. It was sudden but I'm not afraid." she smiled.

Jasper sighed, taking his hand off the truck and standing beside her leaning on the car.

"You just can't be smart and let this go?" Jasper said a little sad.

Danielle looked at Jasper and took his hand in hers, standing in front of him.

"Well, I never was smart." she said smiling as she kissed his cheek "But we should be going now."

Jasper was surprised as Danielle kissed his cheek, but regained his composure and smiled at the girl, nodding.

"As you wish ma'am." he said.

Jasper opened the door for the slim brunette as she jumped into the passenger's seat. He closed the door gently, flashing to his seat. Danielle looked up at him startled.

"I guess I need to get used to that." she laughed as Jasper smirked starting the car.

Danielle put her head on his shoulder, hugging his biceps. The two didn't say anything. A few minutes later they arrived at the house. It wasn't surprising that Charlie wasn't home. He usually worked late. Jasper flashed to Danielle's door and opened it in normal speed. The girl stepped out onto the driveway looking into his golden eyes.

"Do you wanna come inside? At least until Edward comes with Bella?"

Jasper chuckled at the girl's concerned tone.

"If you want me to." he smiled.

Danielle nodded, smiling back at him. She got her keys out her pocket and opened the door, letting the young man in. She took off her jacket and hung it by the door. She coughed slightly, hoping Jasper wouldn't notice as he was looking around the house.

"Are you sick?" he asked concerned.

"Vampire hearing, huh?" Danielle smiled "Well I've had a little bit of a cold lately." she said checking her forehead.

She didn't notice until now but it was burning. She felt tired and drowsy.

"I think you should go to bed." Jasper suggested, worry evident in his voice.

"No it's fine-. Woah!" Danielle exclaimed as Jasper picked her up bridal style.

"No you're not." he said sternly.

He lifted Danielle up as if she were a mere feather. He started walking up the stairs and opened the door to her room. Laying the girl gently on her bed. He turned around wanting to leave her room but Danielle grabbed his hand. Jasper flinched a little but then realised it was only the girl, so he turned around facing her.

"Can you stay?" Danielle asked looking him in the eyes "At least just a few minutes."

Jasper looked at her hesitantly but then nodded. He walked to the other side of her bed, and sat down. Danielle immediately lay her head on his lap. Jasper didn't move until he knew he could restrain himself. He stroked her dark brown hair as the girl fell asleep. He noticed a small smile on Danielle's lips and so he smiled to himself.

"Maybe Alice was right." he whispered "Maybe I love you."

He smiled giving Danielle a kiss on her forehead when he heard Charlie and Bella come home. Before he left through the window he looked at how peaceful Danielle was in her sleep. He smiled to himself once more and shook his head.

"No, I do love you."