Episode 13

Thirteen

Now that I was at home, lying in my bed and still replaying sweet and sour memories (because I thought since this was the last time, why not?), I couldn’t help but feel as if Tammi had a part to play in this. I may be wrong, because my theory was based on nothing else but sheer gut feeling, but I guess that was it. Your instincts aren’t there for nothing, right?

And so, since I also promised Tammi a call once I get home from detention, I snatched my phone and dialled her number. She answered right on the first ring. (She’s a ninja, I promise.) “Hello? Bee?”

“Yeah, that’s what your caller ID says, right?” I said, rolling my eyes.

She ignored that. “You up for girl time? Go tell me what happened to Elliot and Matthew!”

I heaved a sigh and this time, honestly told her the right details of today’s transpirations. She kept silent the whole time I was talking, and when I was finished, she let out a little fan girl squeal. “You’re such a heartthrob, Rachel!”

I almost spluttered on my saliva. “What?”

“You’ve got a line of boys wanting to date you. Why don’t you just answer one and get it over with?”

I felt my spirits fall. “I believe in sparks, Tammi, and I just don’t feel those in any of them.”

A hearty yet sarcastic laugh burst from her end. “And you said you didn’t believe in fairytale love?”

Realising she was right, I gritted my teeth and tried to compose myself, but it was to no avail. Before I could stop the words from coming out, they’d already escaped my mouth. “After Raven, you bribed Matthew, didn’t you?”

After one, two, three counts of pure quiet, the sound of beeping crashed through my eardrums. The line was dead.

My stomach hurt as I guffawed, staring at my phone in utter amusement. If hanging up on me after I asked something wasn’t showing how guilty she was, then I don’t know what is.

But then something hit me like a thunder bolt in a heartbeat. It was proven that Tammi bribed those two…but with what?

ΦΦΦ

Sigh.

I’m not lucky forever, I thought dejectedly as I watched my feet move in short strides towards my locker. It’s Wednesday, and I’ve got a few classes with Rylance. I know distractions could only help so much.

You’re probably wondering, aren’t you? What Rylance and I do whenever we have classes together. Well, ever since I didn’t go to Macy’s Coffee when he asked me to using a paper plane, Rylance avoided me like the plague I was, and I had no choice but to act the same.

“Rachel!” Someone in the distance–a girl I have a few classes with–yelled right before I almost reached my locker.

I whipped my head to the right and raised an eyebrow at the girl, who I now recognise as Noelle, the goody two shoes. “Yeah?”

“Rachel,” she repeated, softer this time, and gestured for me to follow her to the direction of where I was headed to–my locker. Before I could get a clear view of my locker, Noelle faced me and muttered, flicking her head towards my locker which she so nonchalantly blocked, “Go look.”

Forcing myself not to roll my eyes, I just gave a curt nod before sidestepping her in order to get to the sight of my bloody locker…

Which made me scream like hell! “What the fuck are you doing there?!” I demanded, hands forcefully rested against my hips as I shoot daggers at the person standing in front of my locker, his legs propped up lavishly against it.