Episode 17

Seventeen

My eyes snapped open.

And god, it was horrible.

I could still feel the remnants of the illusion that my brain was being blended by a huge washing machine, and that I was looking at everything around me through a broken shard of glass left under no roof whilst there was a hurricane.

It made me sit up straight – despite all logical objections – and made me wonder how I got this migraine in the first place, when I realised something.

My vision was getting clearer by the minute, but I didn’t have to wait till my perfect vision comes back for me to realise that I wasn’t in my room. No, more importantly, I was somewhere I didn’t recognise.

I was about to shout “I AM KIDNAPPED!” on the top of my lungs when someone else spoke. And the voice, thankfully, was something I recognised.

“Where is she?”

Tammi.

The door to this bedroom creaked open then – and it was also when I realised I did recognise the room, but only faintly, and it was a guest room of something –, and I managed to blink my eyes at least a few times before I saw a figure enter the room.

“Ohm gosh, Rachel, you’re a mess!”

With my supposedly even more dishevelled bed hair and, after examining, a little dirty pink ball gown, and that smell that reeked which my body emanated, I guess it wasn’t debatable.

Thanks, Tammi,” I told my best friend, who – after spending at least a few more nanoseconds with her mouth wide open by the door – was now sat on the foot of the bed, gazing at me like I escaped from the mental hospital and came back to haunt her. No, more like massacre her with a razor blade. In front of a freaking crowd.

Tammi prevailed staring at me funny, like she couldn’t figure out the answer to a supposedly simple math equation. “What the hell were you thinking when you drank too much beer and made yourself pass out?”

And that was when, though in a blur, some vivid and some vague memories came crashing down on me.

Tammi’s errand, the party filled with sex-crazed people, the backyard and the bench, Levi and his hands around my waist–wait, no, that wasn’t a highlight–, the guest room and Bryan, the twenty question game, and… the chuckle.

That was everything I could remember, but my heart seemed to say that I was missing something. Something that was vitally important, something that could change my life altogether (but not that I was really this dramatic; perhaps being dramatic was also an effect of a hangover), something that I needed to remember.

But I couldn’t, so I shrugged that spark of weirdness away, and looked at Tammi instead. “I was with Levi then. We played his twenty question game, and then I passed out. My mind says I got tipsy after the first and half cups.”

Tammi scowled. “Ugh, I knew he was hiding something from me!”

“Who was hiding something from you?” I questioned, bewildered and inquisitive.

She looked me dead in the eye. “Bryan contacted me this morning. He said he stayed in this guest room up until midnight and went to his own bedroom to sleep, and when he woke up in the morning, he went here to get something he forgot to get last night, and that was when he saw you, on the bed, sound asleep. And that’s when he called me. He told me someone must’ve brought you in the guest room when he was already out, but when I asked him who he you were last with, he wouldn’t tell me. He said he ‘really couldn’t remember.’”