Episode 16

Happy reading! ;)

Sixteen

I allowed myself to stare at Levi harder, trying to read his mind, whatever was going in there that might help me comprehend his sudden change of heart. “Why should I believe you?” I challenged him, but more for my sake than his.

A smirk appeared on his face. “Because I’m the only one who’s not curious. I’m concerned. And I’m concerned because, didn’t I tell you I was your friend and you were mine?”

I didn’t know if he was lying, but even if he was, I couldn’t tell either. He was good at… at whatever this is he was doing, and frankly that scared me more than being in this party filled with drunken people. Okay, that one was a bluff, since being in this party was horrible. Why did I even come here?

Oh. That’s right. I came here because of an errand. And I wasn’t delivering it right now.

Quickly, I rose to my feet, and looked back down at Levi – who now stared up at me, his expression befuddled. “I’m sorry, Levi, but I guess you can coax me into whatever you’re planning next time, because I have more important things to do. Catch you later.”

But I didn’t have time to move a couple of feet away, because Levi reached out his hand and caught my arm, pulling me back against his chest. My heart beat fast at this encounter, mostly from what I wanted to say was surprise at the sudden force, and I sincerely hoped, at our proximity, Levi couldn’t hear it.

I tried to break free from his grasp, but he secured my waist around his arms now, my back against his chest. “Not so fast, Rachel,” he whispered, his mouth close to my ears, his breath tickling my cheek. “Tell me what you need to do, so I can help you finish it.”

“Let go of me, or I’ll shout rape,” I half-whispered, half-threatened.

At this, his chest moved as he chuckled. “No one would care, since they’re all drunk anyway.” Pause. “And seriously, Rachel, get over your fantasies. Even if you want me to, you know I’m not an idiot to rape you.”

He said what?

Did he seriously just insult me?

Asshole.

I looked around us, and I realised that indeed, everyone who was in the corner of the backyard that was close to the mansion was all inebriated, and I didn’t even notice before that there was a swimming pool and music was making them all dance under the water.

Meanwhile, in the further part of the backyard which looked more of a storage area than anything, there was only Levi and I and darkness.

“Fine,” I digressed, finally giving in. Levi let me go immediately, and for a second I was tempted to run away from him, but I was Rachel Falls, and Rachel Falls keeps the end of her bargain.

I turned around to face Levi with a pointed glower. “Tammi wanted me to give a letter to Bryan, but I don’t know if Bryan is even on the face of the earth.”

“Bryan? Bryan Messer?” Levi inquired, and after he saw me nod, he continued, “He’s upstairs, in the guest room. He’s watching television. He’s not a fan of parties, so he’s locked himself up.”

I tilted my head. “Wait… how do you know him? And know so much about him?”

Levi cleared his throat. “I told you to have a little faith. Come on, I’ll escort you there. And don’t worry, I’m not going to hurt you or take advantage of your lovely womanhood. I have a brain,” he added, after seeing my untrusting look.