Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

                Camille was actually a year lower than me, so we had to part ways. At least, I already had her number. I could just call her if I need her.

                I entered my class solemnly. Another boring class had awaited me inside the room. It was Geometry. Mrs. Margaret Smith—the wife of out Trigonometry teacher—was pregnant and her voice is so tiny that it almost sounded like a lullaby.

                I just realised that Anne was sitting a chair to my right, Ryll was a chair to the left, and Janus was sitting a chair behind me. Perfect. I’m really blessed in this seat, am I not?

                Mrs. Smith’s voice was really making me drowsy. I was imagining her as a music teacher—that would really make the entire class sleep on their desks. My eyes were fluttering twice as fast as usual…until I finally slept on my desk.

                “Miss Rosenfield!” I heard someone calling.

                “Mary!! Hey, wake up!”

                “Juliet!

                I immediately rose and bobbed my head up looking for that person who called me by my third name—the name of a Shakespearean character that came from the story I hated the most.

                “Miss Rosenfield, why are you sleeping in my class?” asked our Economics Teacher, Mrs. Wilson, shouted at me. “You immoral person! If you hated school that much, then you shouldn’t have studied here in the first place!”

                I looked down. I didn’t feel like myself already. I used to be a very courteous and composed lady back when I was still in SRA. I wondered why that all of a sudden, there would be a time that I couldn’t understand myself anymore. Looks like I’ve been an idiot the entire time.

                Mrs. Wilson never stopped berating at me, but I let her painful words pass through my other ear. No matter how tough I thought I was, I still can’t stand being insulted with words. It’s my weakness, and it’s even worse now I that I had been dethroned. I don’t have a support to cling on anymore...and I was wrong about thinking that being a commoner was better than being a royalty.

                I felt my eyes water at the painful words. I tried to hold them together and maintained a nonchalant expression. Her eyes were piercing through my body. I could feel her wrath of being disrespected. For the very first time, I fell silent. My vocabulary dove into the deepest part of the abyss. Usually, I speak and throw harsh words whenever I am being insulted. I always find a way to call myself the winner, but I felt nothing...even the urge to say ‘sorry’.

                “Just look at you, you pretended to be strong there in front of the hostage-taker and even dragged an innocent Countess to your stupidity! You call yourself a Lady? Good for you, you got dethroned! Because lazy-arses like you deserve to be burned in hell!”

                At the final words, I felt my tear fall down and at the same time, arms that enveloped in a tight hug.

                “Mrs. Wilson, I admit I saw her sleeping in your class, but it doesn’t give you a right to embarrass her in front of the class!” a familiar voice defended me. Janus, why you again?