Chapter Two

Chapter Two

                My body froze. Kyle was kidnapped! What were his guards doing during duty?!

                I hurried to my bag and called for yacht to be prepared on the shoreline of Vineyard. I changed my clothes from my uniform to a simple white dress edged with black lace and silver glittery stilettos. I’m sure this would certainly reach the newspapers. I wonder what the headline would be. First Negotiation of Lady Mary of Vineyard? Living Heroine: Lady Mary of Vineyard? Or I’d fail this one stupid thing wherein I have to deal with the kidnappers to save the Crown Prince and drown in shame instead?

                I put on minimal make-up on my face. Face powder, streak of mascara on my eyelashes, few puffs of blush-on on the cheeks, and lip gloss are all what I had. No serious preparations at all. I fixed my brownish hair into a bun and used a comb-like silver clip with diamonds on it, which was a gift from Hamish when I turned seventeen.

                I grabbed a small bag and placed my iPhone and my credit card. A few cash added in. I walked out after. The car was ready as soon as I exited the mansion. I rode on a red car which my uncle, a Viscount, owned. It took me a couple of minutes to arrive on the shoreline of Vineyard Valley that opened up to Yellowfin Bay that headed to Palm Island. A yacht was waiting on the shores. I quickly ran toward it despite how high my stilettos were—5 inches. The heels sank into the white sand anyway.

                A yacht might be made for pleasure to most people, but my yacht was different. It was built just like a speedboat. It runs fast, despite its size. It was a special order, used the cash I won in the lottery—I played with Stylle once, and I happened to win the jackpot prize after.

                I arrived in the destination on time—but since there wasn’t any time indicated in the letter, there was no such thing late or early. The people around me, all clad in orange clothes numbers on it and a choker-like gadget on their necks to prevent them from going farther away from Palm Island—and strangles the prisoner if the gadget gets out of the signal coverage. There are some civilians walking around, but they were people filled with hopelessness. I did wonder what Kyle did to the place—or, how he felt being assigned here.

                “Thank you for coming, Ms. Rosenfield,” she addressed to me using my mother’s last name. I still held my head up and smiled, “You’re welcome, Ms. Robins.” I counter-attacked and turned to her. She scowled at me. She was wearing a seemingly decent black dress that sparkles when hit with light and stilettos like mine, but hers was only black. Her hair, let down with curls and her make-up strong with red and maroon—making her seem like an evil witch, just modernised. Her cheekbones looked sharper than what it was on her photographs in the newspapers due to make-up and I’d say, she was trying hard to look young and attractive.

                “Scowling, minus five. Evil-looking appearance, minus f—no, ten. Desperate attempt to look young, minus five. Certainly, Ms. Robins, you don’t qualify to become a Countess. Has the jail rotten you? I could’ve greeted you with a good greeting if you weren’t acting so mean,” I said publicly. Seventeen might be too young to deal with a kidnapper, but who cares? A Prince is at stake! I still kept up a nonchalant countenance even my legs went shaky all of a sudden.

                “Do you really feel like you are the Queen of the World, Ms. Rosenfield? You’re just a small citizen of this small country. Don’t act big, Mary!” she shouted at me. I simply smirked. Flawed response; a very big mistake that could topple the enemy.

                “Why, Kirsten? Aren’t you a citizen as well?” I retorted with a smile. I could see her snarl, but I didn’t mind. But one thing was sure, I’m winning this debate. I looked around; people had been surrounding us. The media had been starting to crowd. Soon, I’d be on the newspapers and the television for sure.

                “At least I have a rank,” said Kirsten. I laughed at her high expectations and ambitions. I glanced at her reaction. She was gritting her teeth. Then, she pulled out something black and red like a controller. Then I realised what it actually was—a bomb trigger.

                I panicked. Was she going to bomb the entire island? I looked everywhere. The remote could be a dummy. But that thought disappeared when a projection showed up against a flat clear surface.

                It was Kyle wrapped around in bombs. The clock on the bomb said two minutes and it was moving second-by-second. 1:58…1:54…and so on. My brain raced like a roaring engine, finding ways to free him. Calling the National Security would take time and surely, they will come over after the bomb exploded.

                I froze in my place. Something heroic was going to happen.

                “Fine, I step down as a Lady, just set the Prince free!” I shouted in a rush. It was what I wanted, wasn’t it? To become a normal person and try living life with a struggle? To be free from the media?

                But then, would that mean I’d be back to zero?

***

A/N: Sorry, short update.