Sirius, November 23, 1981

Remus,

I've been granted a paper and a muggle pen. Nothing else. They laughed at my request to send letters. I doubt this one will send. But I'm writing it anyway.

It's like a feeling of dread every morning when I wake, wanting to escape back into a world of dreams. And I'm there with nothing but my thoughts all day, and a tidal wave of emotion once and a while, when I break. And even though it feels better afterwards, it's so hard getting through it. Sometimes I do blame myself for everything. I see why people would rather choose death than this.

I check the moon phase tattoo still, it's a habit. It was a few days ago. I wasn't there for you. I'm sorry.

I doubt that you will find it. A ring, more specifically. I was going to propose to you on November 5th. I hid it under our bed. Maybe you'll come across it. You probably will, you're intelligent enough. More than I ever will be.

If you were here instead of me, I don't know what I would do. Almost nobody deserves this. The select few includes the reasons why I'm here.

I'm starting to feel what insanity is like.

All I have left is the hope of communication with you and the hope that someday, that the truth of everything will be known.

I love you so much, Moony.
~Sirius Black

The pen hit the stone ground and I looked outside to see rain falling down, masking the moon and stars.

I lay there, and fell asleep to the sound of rain, curled up in a ball to save myself from the cold.