Chapter 2

"We're early!" Akira crowed, forcing her door open and sprinting out even though I was still moving.

        I rolled my eyes and parked my baby in a spot near the front so I wouldn't have as far to walk to catch up to my crazy friend. I opened my door and stepped out, closing it with my foot. I walked to the other side and closed the other door before fixing my sights on the school.

        It was the first day of our year as juniors and we were both excited, although for different reasons. Akira couldn't wait to play match-maker, like she always does, and pair a bunch of cute couples together who'll live happily ever after together (her words, not mine). Me? Well, I wanted to shake off the image everyone had of me, the image of a fragile girl stuck in the past. I was done being that girl that everyone took pity on. I was stepping up my game.

        While I was driving, I had my sunglasses on the top of my head, and before I walked into the school, I slipped my sunglasses down on to my face, steeling my nerves. I shoved the doors open and stalked inside, walking like I owned the place.

        There were already kids running around and the halls were filled with pieces of paper fluttering off, away from confinement. I rolled my eyes and continued walking. I was gratified to see that I still had it; the horde of freshmen parted in the same manner that my family did for my grandfather when he'd had too much chili.

        I felt like royalty, strutting down the halls the way I was, and for a moment, I was reminded of the old days, the days that were much happier. Inside, I could feel myself trying to shut down at the memory, but I refused to allow myself to appear weak in front of all the newbies.

        You see, once upon a time, I was one of the girls who stood in the corner of the classroom or in the middle of the hallway with a gaggle of girls and some guys all vying for attention. I was known as the Queen Bee of the school, but that was before the accident. Alex's accident.

         I was snapped out of my walk down nostalgia-lane when Akira shouted my name in my ear, nearly deafening me. "ELLA!!!"

        I dug around in my ear with my pinky as I turned to face her, a 'are-you-flipping-kidding-me?' look already in place. "What!?" I snapped irritably, not appreciating the damage to the sensitive nerves inside my ear.

        "OMG, did you see the new kid?!" Akira gushed, bouncing up and down in place. "He is soooo cu-ute!"

        I'd stumbled backwards because of her proximity and tendency for hitting me while jumping and I was rubbing my aching butt as she continued to blab on about how the new guy was 'totes gorgeous' and 'completely perfect for me'. I stood up, brushing imaginary dirt off myself. "No, for your information, I have not seen the new kid." I began to walk away, searching for my locker, and Akira tagged along behind. "And, frankly, I don't want to. With all the attention he's getting, he's got to be some stuck-up pig."

        "But you don't seem to really mind stuck-up pigs," Akira pointed out dryly, leaning on the locker next to mine. "I mean, you did date Alex."

        I yanked my textbook out of my locker and slammed the door, denting the rusting metal slightly. I stormed away, refusing to talk to Akira.

        How dare she bring him up again?! I fumed silently, slipping into my homeroom and choosing a seat. I was trying to get over him, but I can't very bloody well with her reminding me of him every single second of every single day.

        The bell buzzed, signalling the start of homeroom, and a bunch of kids filed into the classroom meekly, shepharded by a young woman. The woman had warm, hazel eyes and curling blonde hair that I was totally jealous of, but I knew that we were going to get along brilliantly. The woman was writing her name (Ms. Tiranth) on the board when I heard the squeal of the chair next to me being dragged out. I winced at the ear-piercing noise.

        I watched Ms. Tiranth's back, completely ignoring the person next to me. That is, until the kid next to me scrambled out of their seat after being told to "beat it" by someone else. I couldn't help it; I was curious.

        I turned my head slightly to peer at the person brave enough to dare sit next to me, and I found myself face-to-face with an angel. I know it sounds cliché, but the guy next to me was handsome. I started at the top of his head and worked my way down slowly, examining him carefully.

        His hair was dark brown and casually messy in a very sexy way. His eyes, though cast down towards his paper, I could see were a brilliant shade of sea green. His nose was arrow-straight and lead to perfect, plump lips. His lips were full and that perfect shade of pink that every girl dreams of having. They looked delicious, and I couldn't help but cross my legs, noticing my movement caused those perfectly kissable lips to curve upwards in a small smirk. His black T-shirt, advertising the fact he liked Imagine Dragons, hugged his chest nicely, outlining the contours of his bulging muscles beautifully. He was wearing green jeans that, even though they weren't skinny jeans, hugged his calves possessively (not that I blamed them), and I noticed he had his legs crossed too. He wore blue converse and my lips twitched upwards in a smile at the familiar sight.

        I was broken out of my reverie when the gorgeous man next to me spoke, his voice husky and seductive, "Done eye-raping me yet, sweetheart?"

        My cheeks flamed and I quickly fixed my gaze on the front of the classroom, ensuring my wavy brown hair was providing a barrier between us. I know it wasn't much for protection, but it made me feel a little bit better. In my head, I cursed myself for gawking the way I had been, and I heard the man chuckle quietly to himself. An image of Alex teasing me about my problems with staring floated into my mind, and I instantly deflated, pressing my cheek against the cool wood.

        "Are you all right, sweetheart?" the gorgeous man next to me asked, scooting his desk closer to mine as if it was no big deal to pick up a desk that's been all but bolted to the ground with ease and move it.

        "I'm fine," I muttered, refusing to look at him.

        "Don't lie to me, sweetheart," the man growled, making part of me want to whimper in fear. "I don't appreciate liars."

        "I don't want to talk about it, so mind your own damn business, you prick," I snapped, becoming fed up with his 'holier than thou attitude'.

        The man only chuckled softly. "I wouldn't be difficult, if I were you," he said tauntingly. "After all, you never know what could happen."

        His hand brushed my thigh and I gasped loudly.

        It was at that exact moment Ms. Tiranth intervened, slamming her ruler down on the man's desk. "Mr. Vale!" she barked. "I will not have that kind of behavior in my classroom. Kindly remove your hands from Miss Elmwood and switch seats."

        "It's Will," the man growled lowly before reluctantly grabbing his bag and storming off to another seat.

        When he was gone, I could breathe normally again. His touch, his mere presence, the sound of his voice, oh, I was exhilarated. I'd never felt that way before. When he'd touched my thigh, I could feel pleasant electrical shocks humming through my body, originating where he was touching me. All of the shocks went straight to my core, and I crossed my legs tighter, hoping to conceal the evidence of his effect on me from prying eyes.

        For the rest of the class period, I could feel Will's gaze burning two, twin holes into the back of my head. When the bell rang, I breathed a sigh of relief and switched spots, choosing one closer to the window. Everyone else filed out of the room, Will being the last to leave. Even when he had left the room, I could still feel his eyes on me.

        Bad Gabriella! I scolded myself. No romance. No more. You are not getting involved with this guy.

        If only I knew just how wrong I was in that statement, because Will wasn't going to let me have my way.