Chapter 23

I ran.

        There was nothing that I could see that was chasing me, but I knew I couldn't slow. Still, I ran, afraid of what would happen, what could happen.

        The trees that were so thick around me, much like a thick molasses or a maple syrup just made, thinned until there were no more anywhere around me, until I found myself standing in a clearing, a beautiful clearing with a lake at the center and pine and oak trees ringing it, all around - only, this was no ordinary clearing.

        Blood splashed everywhere, and howls of pain echoed in my ears. The echoes made my head ring, and I groaned; the sounds were so dreadful I fell to my knees, clutching my ears as I let out soft whimpers of fear. My eyes scrunched shut, and a tear slipped down my cheek. I forced my eyes open, and instantly, I was bombarded with the horrific sight of two packs fighting. Somehow, I knew that one of the two packs was mine.

        A tear slld down my cheek, and I attempted to shout for the wolves to stop fighting. But no sound came out; there was only a hoarse whisper of a protest that spilled from my lips. I touched my throat, and I was horrified to find that I had been cut across the throat; I was bleeding out and quickly, too.

        I fell to the ground, and a familiar wolf raced over. It was Will, and he stood over me, snarling ferociously at anyone who got too close. Still, there was nothing he could do for me; I was dying, and he knew that all too well.

        "Will," I whispered hoarsely, and he turned to me, nudging my cheek with his cold nose to keep me from falling asleep. I grabbed on to his muzzle and he pulled me closer to him, curling up around me to keep me warm.

        "I'm sorry," I murmured, coughing up blood.

        Will only licked my cheek, his sticky saliva reawakening me. He let out a soft whimper, as if to say it wasn't my fault, and I stroked his head, scratching him behind the ears, weakly. He let out a soft bark of appreciation - or so it sounded - and I giggled a little bit.

        "Don't blame yourself," I said, my voice low - I was unable to force my voice to a volume louder than a quiet whisper, a sound much like the rushing of the wind over dry reeds on the side of a creek that was dyed red with blood. "It's Preston's fault."

        Somehow, I knew that the other pack of wolves belonged to Preston, and I whimpered quietly. It was then that I realized: this was the war that I had so feared, and we were losing. We were losing the war.

        And it was all my fault.

        If only I hadn't angered Preston by refusing to marry him and choosing Will instead.

        If only . . .

        My eyes fluttered shut, never to open again. 

~ ~ ~

        My eyes shot open, and I sat up so fast my hair slapped me across the face. I was gasping for breath, and Will sat up as well, rubbing the last traces of sleepiness away. He stroked my cheek from temple to jaw, and I smiled at him, relaxing into the familiar gesture. My eyes fluttered shut, only to jolt open again when echoes of the dream I'd had played like a movie inside my eyes.

        "What's wrong?" Will asked, sounding concerned as he caught an opaque teardrop on his finger. "Why are you crying?"

        "I had a nightmare," I confessed, and Will pulled me into a tight hug.

        "Oh, sweetheart," he murmured, burying his face in his neck. "Whatever it is, I'll protect you from it. I don't care if I have to cross a thousand miles or a million oceans, if I have to kill everyone on the planet; I will protect you from whatever you're afraid of - be it death or Preston or freedom or lack thereof. I swear I will protect you."

        I pulled back and looked up at him, blinking owlishly. "Can you protect me from death?"

        "Yes," Will said without hesitation, and a wide grin split my features into two.

        "Thank you," I murmured, burying my face into his chest and breathing in his scent of woodsmoke and vanilla. "Thank you so much."

        Will chuckled and his chest rumbled soothingly. "Of course, sweetheart. I will do anything for you; you are my everything, my Alpha female, my Luna, my love and lover, etc."

        I giggled, curling up against him. "Thank you," I murmured. "Thank you so very much for being there, for being my mate. I could never ask for a better mate."

Will smirks. "I'm going to hold you to that, sweetheart," he said, and I giggled.

"I figured as much. Now, shh. Let me sleep," I mumbled, pressing a finger against his lips.

He sucked my finger into his mouth, and I squealed, yanking my finger back. I wiped my finger off on my pajama shirt and glared at my mate.

"Eww!" I whined, and he laughed at my expression.

Will ruffled my hair. "You're so adorable, sweetheart. Now, go to sleep. You need the rest if you're going to meet the rest of the pack tomorrow."

I gave him one last glare and snuggled up against him, quickly falling asleep.