Chapter 16

A/N: The video to the side is by the extremely talented 'TheNamelessDoll'. Also, the link to the side is the link to her profile. Check out her other videos! They're all so awesome! :) On with the story!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

        "Ella? Can I come in?" There was a knock on the door, but I only ignored Maria's request.

        I flung myself down on the bed and buried my face in my pile of pillows. I tried my best not to burst into tears, but one, lone tear slipped down my cheek despite my attempts.

        Maria continued to knock on the door, begging me to come out and talk to her or let her in, but I continued to ignore her. After about thirty minutes of repeatedly begging me to talk to her, she finally left, and I was gratified to hear her footsteps walking away.

        Even so, I didn't walk out of my room, instead reveling in the feeling of aloneness her depart gave me. I rolled over and laid on my back, staring up at the ceiling wistfully. My imagination began to paint pictures on the ceiling, and I nearly cried when I saw the picture of the sandy wolf and russet one snuggling together. I felt so betrayed. Even my wolf was crying at the betrayal.

        When another knock came at the door and there was the sound of my name whispered in a voice that, even though I wanted it to, couldn't give me delicious shivers up and down my spine, I rolled my eyes. It only made sense that he would feel my pain through the pack link.

        'Or Maria called him,' my wolf suggested, her lips lifting off her teeth when she said the name.

        'Maybe. Should we let him in?' I asked.

        My wolf smiled at me, happy that I wanted her opinion before doing anything, and, frankly, the fact I could do that made me happy as well. 'Well, his wolf really wants to see us. I don't see why we shouldn't.'

        And so, hoarsely, I called, "Come in, Preston."

        A bittersweet smile crossed my face when I heard his sigh of relief, and he pushed the door open, slamming it shut in Maria's waiting face. He rushed over to my side and drew me into him, burying his face in my hair. "What happened, Ella? What's wrong? Where does it hurt?" he babbled, and I smiled and gently pushed him away.

        "I'm fine, Preston," I said, laughing to myself softly. "I just feel a little betrayed."

        Preston let out a fierce, rumbling growl and my wolf howled, her motives unknown to me. "Who betrayed you? I'll kill them," he said, his words turning into a harsh snarl of anger.

        I gently touched his arm and hoped to God that my touch would be enough to keep him from shifting in my bedroom, even though we aren't mates. I was relieved when his eyes returned to their original color and I ended up smiling as I hugged him, pressing myself against his firm chest.

        Preston hugged me back, holding me to him tightly, but it didn't bother me; I felt comfortable in his arms, but it wasn't anything compared to how I felt in Will's arms. "Oh, Ella, please tell me. Who betrayed you? They deserve to be killed for hurting someone as beautiful as you."

        I withdrew my arms from him, and he obediently released me, used to short, brief hugs and kisses. They were never on the lips, and he understood why. I'd explained to him that I wanted to save my first kiss for when I was on the altar, but that was just a lie. I really wanted my first kiss to be with Will, and I was still clinging to that small, tiny piece of myself that was still saved for him. Of course, I still had my virginity. I mean, I'm not that bad. I told Preston to wait until after the wedding, just in case either of our mates showed up. He was reluctant, but he agreed after I begged him.