Chapter 12

***A COUPLE OF MONTHS LATER . . .***

        "How are you doing?"

        I turned around and smiled at him. "I'm doing great, Preston. I'm so happy to see you."

        Preston smiled and brushed a strand of his blonde hair out of his face. He leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine gently. When he pulled away, he whispered, "I'm glad to hear that, Ella. I'm happy to see you, too."

        I reached up and tangled my fingers in his hair, bringing his lips back to mine. We kissed for a few minutes before he pulled away, pulling me up from my seat. When I asked where we were going, he gave me a huge grin and just shook his head mysteriously.

        "It's good to see you, Alpha," Talia said, bowing her head when we walked out of our room. She turned to me and smiled widely. "Luna."

        I blushed and looked over my shoulder at Preston. "What does she mean by calling me Luna?" I asked him nervously.

        Preston scratched the back of his head, giving me a sheepish look. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about."

        "That you want to mate me?" I asked incredously, my eyes widening as I stared at him. "You want me to be the Luna of the pack?"

        "Yeah," Preston said, and he smiled at me. "I love you."

        I turned crimson and I did the only thing that I could do. I ran.

~ ~ ~ ~

        "Have you found a trace of her scent?" Will demanded, and when the woman, Clarice, shook her head, he slammed his fist down on the desk, cracking it into tiny pieces of wood. He growled and shook his head, trying to calm himself.

        "I'm sorry, Alpha. There's no sign of her," Olive said, bowing her head. 

        Will sprawled out in his chair and leaned his head back against the back of the red, plush cushion. "FIND HER!!!" he roared, and everyone fled from the room, scattering about like tiny ants.

        Will cradled his head in his hands and groaned.

        'We must find her,' his wolf said, and Will nodded.

        'We need her,' Will replied, and his wolf began to pace.

        'We love her,' his wolf declared, and Will nodded again.

        'We really do,' Will said, and his wolf bowed his head.

~ ~ ~ ~

        "Are you all right, Ella?" Maria, the Beta of the pack, asked me, and I whipped around to face her.

        When I saw that it was only her, I sighed in relief and slumped against the trunk of the tree behind me. "I'm fine, Maria. I'm just a little shell-shocked right now."

        Maria suddenly zoomed forward and laid her hand on my shoulder. I jumped but my heart rate quickly calmed. "What happened? Did Alpha Preston finally tell you he wants you to be Luna?"

        "Yeah," I said, but the minute realization dawned on me, I looked at her incredously. "You knew?"

        "Yes," she declared warily, choosing her words carefully, "but I was ordered by Alpha Preston not to tell you."

        "He used the Alpha tone?" I asked, and she nodded, causing me to growl. "I'm going to have a little talk with that boy."

        Maria squeezed my shoulder gently, and brushed a strand of my brown hair out of my eyes. "Don't be so harsh on him. He really cares about you."

        I cupped my face in my hands and sighed. "I know he does, and frankly, I care about him, too."

        "But?" Maria asked as she tipped my face up to peer into my eyes, alarmed at the negativity in my voice.

        "I know who my mate is," I declared, and I winced when she gasped loudly, her hands flying to cover her mouth.

        "You do?" she asked, and I nodded, mute. "This isn't good," Maria muttered and she began pacing back and forth in front of me.

        Eventually, my wolf got impatient with her pacing and roared, using our mouth, "KNOCK IT OFF!! STAND STILL!!!"

        Maria froze midstep and stared at me, alarmed. "Sorry," she mumbled and adjusted herself so she was standing facing me. "So, you're telling me that you know who your mate is?"

        "Yes," I said, and my wolf rolled her eyes, curling up in a ball but still wary and ready to defend us if necessary.

        "Then why aren't you with him?" Maria asked, and I groaned. I didn't want to have to explain it again.

        "Because I'd feel guilty about leaving Preston alone without a mate or anyone," I replied, feeling an ache in my heart again.

        'It's because we want to be with Will,' my wolf said, and I shushed her, trying to concentrate on the conversation.

        "Then shouldn't you just stay with Preston?" Maria suggested, and my eyes widened. She was right.

        "I guess you have a point," I admitted, and Maria grinned.

        "Great! So how about you come back with me and tell him that you're willing to become Luna?" Her smile was contagious and I couldn't help but smile straight back at her.

        "All right," I said, ignoring the urge, courtesy of my wolf, to find Will and tell him that I love him.

        "Right this way," Maria said, and she gestured to the path leading back to the pack house.

        I grabbed her hand and we raced down the path together, my heart racing eagerly. I couldn't wait to see Preston again.

~ ~ ~ ~

        Will was just doing some paperwork when, suddenly, a dove flitted in through his open window. It landed on his desk and ruffled its feathers. Will stroked it from its beak to its tail feathers and the bird displayed its scroll bearer. Will plucked the scroll from the carrier.

        He read the words out loud.

        "You, Will Vale, Alpha of the Crescent Blue Moon pack, are hearby invited to the wedding of the Alpha of the Blood Rose pack, Preston Jurekovic, to his mate, Ella. Please attend. Arrive at the border on Wensday with a wedding gift. The bride and groom will both appreciate your presence. Again, please attend.

        ~ Maria Willis, Beta of the Blood Rose pack~"

        Will set the invitation down on his desk and stood, stalking out of his office smoothly. "Prepare for a journey to the Blood Rose pack's borders! We're going to a wedding," he announced, and everyone began rushing around.

        'But we will still find you, Ella. You are ours and shall never escape us,' Will and his wolf said together, and he disappeared back into his office, slamming the doors behind himself.