Chapter 18. Sugar Daddy

I apologize if there are any errors...haven't proofread it yet. 

Chapter Eighteen ~ Sugar Daddy

             The drive was long.

            I was pretty sure I fell in and out of sleep multiple times. Although I wasn’t complaining, road trips weren’t my favorite thing to do. Especially since I was stuck in the car with Levi; the same guy who wanted to get to know me.

            I thought back to Dad. I wondered what he was up to now. He wasn’t going to rob the house, just yet. I drew him a very accurate map of the house and highlighted exactly where he needed to go in order to not get caught by the camera. Hopefully, things would go according to plan and we would be out of here as soon as we can.

            Maybe this trip would really release all the feelings stirring inside and I would be able to leave them there. There was no way I was going to bring thoughts of Levi when we left.

            “Oh, look, you’re awake!” Levi exclaimed, his face illuminating with excitement. “Did you enjoy your nap?”

            I nodded slowly and propped my head up on the palm of my hand.

            “Right.” A humorous grin spread across his face. “No more questions. Got it.”

            It made me happy that he respected my feelings. Not many people did.

            “We don’t have that much left to go.” He peered out the window, taking in fresh air, and then returned his attention to the road. “It’s probably six minutes, or so.”

            “Where are we?”

            “The middle of nowhere,” he said, short. “Honestly, the marker signs disappeared five miles ago. It’s a pretty secluded place to ensure privacy.”

            “That’s…scary.”

            Levi shrugged in nonchalance. “It’s not that bad, trust me. We come here once a year to let off steam and bond.”

            Bond. That was a word I didn’t like. Considering Gretchen was cheating on Henry, Henry was hardly ever home, and Crystal hated family gatherings…what could they possibly bond over?

            “Do you bring all your boyfriends here?” It was the first time I referred to Levi as my boyfriend and he noticed, based on his surprised expression.

            “Boyfriend?”

            I pressed my lips together.

            “No,” he continued, “I don’t bring anyone here, not even friends.”

            I overlooked the road ahead of us. It was slowly winding past the trees. No sign of civilization could be seen. “Then, why me?”

            “You’re different. You don’t cling to me like most people, and you’re always so mysterious. It’s almost like you’re playing hard to get, but I know it’s just your personality. You don’t want people to figure you out and that, Damien, is what’s so intriguing about you.”

            I was at a complete loss for words. Never, in my eleven years of doing this, did someone talk about me that way. Sure, people said I didn’t reveal a lot of information about myself, but that trait can be easily justified. Maybe it was just Levi. The way the words rolled off his tongue was just so effortless and it sounded like music to my ears.