Chapter 11. It's Not Easy

Chapter Eleven ~ It's Not Easy

I knew my identity by heart. My name was Jacob Danes. I was a senior in high school, but rarely attended. I had a bad relationship with my father and everyone knew this. I made it known. I had taken the time to grow out my dark hair, now it was shoulder length. It made me look like a different person, that’s for sure.

I knew my identity, but for some reason I wanted to confess to her. She had taken the time to get to know “me” and she was the sweetest person ever.  

I met her in class. Her name was Sara. She was a senior, like me, with long thick locks of golden blonde framing her heart-shaped porcelain face. Her cheeks were flushed with pink as she slid me a folded piece of paper. 

I opened the paper curiously and read its contents. 

'Your shoes are kinda cool.'

I glanced down at my old black converse sneakers and smiled. “Thanks,” I mouthed to her. 

That was the day we became friends. 

*            *           *            *

The day I told Sara about me, it was hot. Definitely not the good kind. The sun was beating down on the sidewalk and the thick warm air felt like it was suffocating me but Sara was used it. 

“Did you get your hat back?” 

I shook my head. “It’s a lost cause, anyway.” 

“Oh,” she giggled slightly and bowed her head. “Is your dad home?”

“No, not yet.” Beads of sweat dripped down my forehead. My house was looming on my left and I suddenly felt nervous. 

“You’ve never brought me in before,” Sara commented with a sweet smile forming on her face. “Let’s go!” 

Sara began to sprint towards the house but I caught her arm and tugged her back. “Sara,” I inquired, “we can’t go.”

“But your dad isn’t home.” 

“He’ll know," I assured her. I didn’t know if it was the truth or not but I refused to take any chances. 

Sara ran a hand along my arm. “You should stand up to him, Jacob. You don’t deserve any of this. I really want to be your friend, you just need to let me in.” 

I thought about what she said and sighed. “Can I tell you something?” 

“Anything.”

“My dad and I, we do bad things.”