Chapter 1. The Samuels

Chapter One ~ The Samuels

Hours later, we were driving.

I was reclined back in the passenger seat, staring blankly at the sunroof when a wave of bright light suddenly blinded me. I sat up in my seat, trying to get a clear view of the road. There were little shops on each side of the street. Beyond them, there was a orange horizon meeting the blue ocean. I turned to face my dad to see a grin on his face. "What is this place?"

"This place, is called Clearbourough," he said. Just as he said this, he pulled onto a road with brick houses on each side. Beautiful houses, big houses, mansions almost.

I leaned back in my seat, knowing that Dad would never choose one of these houses for us to live. People like us took expensive vacations, bought luxury cars, and lived in mansions. All the conspicuous things, but they always got caught in the end.

That was why Dad said we were the best at what we do. We didn't flash our newfound wealth. We lived in the shadows and tried to blend in. Jail was an awful place and if we kept up our routine, we would never have to see it.

The houses began to get smaller and smaller as we continued to drive until the car stopped in front of a sign that indicated the end of the street. Ahead of us on a slightly narrow, green, well kept lawn set atop the gentle slope of a hill and surrounded by maples, was a house. I wouldn't say that it was all that, because it wasn't.

It was small in size and just from observation, I could tell that it wasn't well furnished. But it was enough to keep us out of the spotlight for a while until we would have to move again.

"I know it's not much," Dad announced as he pulled the key out of the ignition, "but it's enough."

I got out of the car and made my way over to the trunk of our mid-sized sedan to gather our belongings.

"Hey, leave the stuff in there," Dad instructed, "I want you to go check out the scenery and see if you can find us a nice family. I'll take care of the baggage."

Nodding, I agreed. "Yeah, sure thing."

* * * *

I drove around looking for a public outing. I knew in small towns like these they often had parties, especially since they were located so close to a beach. I found myself stopping at a local market to get my dad and I some food. He never thought about these sort of things. He worried about the materialistic things. He liked to hold things that weren't his and be in places that he shouldn't be.

I, however, was more responsible and I knew that we needed some food to last throughout the week. It didn't take long to get everything. I threw a bunch of frozen foods and bags of chips inside of the basket and quickly exited the store, not wanting to waste any more time. Soon as I exited the market, my shoulder brushed against another, instantly causing my grocery bags to fall to the ground.

"Shit," I cursed out of habit. I knelt down to the ground and stuffed the groceries inside of the plastic bag hastily.

"I'm so sorry about that," a voice above me said. "Did anything get damaged?"

I looked up and saw a man standing over me, motioning towards the grocery bags. "No, everything's good," I said quickly as I stood to my feet.

"Those bags are good for nothing."

"Uh huh," I said in response. He was a local. A local with messy hair and bright hazel eyes.

"I've never seen you around here before." The local tilted his head to the right in interest. "You just moved here?"

Yes. "Uh no--" I shook my head, "--I've lived here for quite a while, actually."

"Really?"

"Really."