Chapter 19

Laila's P.O.V.

"Bitch," Millie sneered as she flips the binder out of my arms. Millie and her friends laugh as papers scatter across the tiled floors of the empty hallway. Had I not been stupid enough to go down the same hallway as her, I wouldn't be late for 3rd period.
Matter of fact, if I hadn't been so foolish as to believe such a fragile promise, I wouldn't be in this living hell. Everywhere I turn, people stare at me in disgust. Complete strangers shove me just to give others a good laugh. Older kids just stared me down and at times would call me names. Getting through a hallway was a struggle. Burning glares and taunts followed me, never leaving me out of their sight.

I stagger to Science holding a massive mound of papers in my arms. As soon as I arrive, I take a seat and stare down at the quiz that laid on my desk. I could sense many sets of eyes penetrating through my skin. I wasn't even welcome in the classroom. From the corner of my eye, I could just make out Joyce write a note a pass it on to a girl nearby. To my surprise, someone tosses it on my exam. I slowly unfold the crumpled loseleaf and read her handwriting.

BURN BITCH

I crumple up the note and shove it in my pocket. Tears threatened to fall like bombs onto the paper thin field. As hard as it was, I strained my mind to begin reading the first cluster directions on the quiz.

*

"I will leave the room for only one moment. I expect you to behave as if I were still here," commands Mrs. Doyle, doing a light bounce on her toes. She runs to the bathroom in one quick motion and as soon as she is out of earshot, the whole class becomes a rambunctious mess. I watch as Fernanda and Eliza proudly present themselves as the leader of this disaster, much like a pair of generals with their armies.
"I'm the mothafucking princess of this joint!" Eliza yells. She and Fern jump onto the wooden desk and throw paper planes to the mob down below. Bruno was cheering the wild mess on in a series of shouts and screams. Bruno has been acting strangely protective of Fern recently. He's always worried about her and he's developed this phobia that she might go off and cheat on him. I'm not sure why, and I'm having the temptation to ask him later.

I witness the massive crowd attempt to lift the desk with Eliza and Fern on it, only for it to land on the floor with a loud thump.
I've learned to keep my distance during these moments, but before I could do anything, Jessie runs over to me.
"Hey, baby boy," she says.
"Don't call me that," I snap at her.

She glares at me and replies, "Geez, don't have to be so rude. You're lucky you stole the heart of a girl like me."

"I consider it unlucky."

"Really? How many girls do you see as pretty as me? None. Exactly. You should be more nicer or I might just not want to date you."

"I didn't want to date you to begin with." I reply. I swear this chick is getting on my nerves.

"Yea you did. And you still want to date me. I'm like the prettiest girl here and I know you like me too."

"Says who?"

"You've always liked me Phil. Who wouldn't? Lucky for you, I like you back." She remarks proudly. Jessie had always been overconfident about herself, always believing strongly in her reasoning no matter what.

"I don't like you. You're just a friend." I grit through my teeth. She wasn't getting on my nerves anymore, she was doing damn jumping jacks all over them.

"You do like me Phil. I know you do...it's just that after you met Laila, you don't show it anymore."

My stomach did a back flip and my heart lurched up my throat.
All it took was her name.