Chapter 13

Bruno's P.O.V.
I take Fern to a coffee shop to help calm her down. Another reason was that I needed to get a sense of what was going on with her and her sister. I buy 2 lattes and hand one to Fern, who ignores my gesture. I awkwardly set it on the table.

"Well? Are you going to explain?" I ask.
No comment. But the silence was just as piercing as words would've been. I knew she was angry, but how would it help the problem at all?
"Look, I don't know what's going on with you and your sister, but just tell me what you think-"
"I think that she's a bitch and that you're defending her!" She interrupted. I look at her in shock at her sudden proclamation.
"I'm not defending her! I'm just asking why you're so pissed if she's done noting wrong!"

"You see? You said it yourself! You think she's so fucking sweet and innocent! You think that she's always right! You are defending her!" She said.
I could barely process anything she was saying; all I was trying to do was calm her down. A small dose of frustration and anger sparked inside of me. A few people in the cafe had turned to look at Fern and me.
"Well, you're not giving me a reason not to defend her! So what do you expect? I'm not going to take my anger out a little girl!" I growled. Fern looks at me. I caught a glimpse of her beautiful eyes. I could make out the tears forming inside them, but she managed to look away.

"Why do you think I run away? Why do you fucking think Bruno? So I can get in trouble? So people will look down on me?" She replied angrily. "My family hates me. They hate who I am. They hate what I do. They hate me. The don't help or support me. They think I'm the dumb one in the family."
She continued, " I only wanted to do things my way. I only wanted to have fun... But no! They rejected me. They refuse to appreciate me whatsoever!"

Tears were streaming down her face like rivers at this point.
"Laila's just like them! She does whatever they say. She's their perfect child. They don't care about me, but they do care for her. All she does is screw up my life! That's it! In fact, the only people who support me are you guys. That's it..." She burrowed her face in her hands and sobbed loudly into them. Everyone in the cafe was staring at us now.
I was also staring. She expects me to believe that a little girl is behind this? I may not be the brightest person ever, but I'm not that stupid.
"What do you mean she's ruining your life? Why are you making such a big deal about this? Isn't she 13 years old? 4 years younger than you?!"
"Why would her age matter? She's still Laila!" She cries. Anger began to win me over, and I was losing grip on my sanity. How can she blame a seventh grader for ruining her life!? She's fucking crazy!

"Well, Laila isn't saying anything mean! In fact, you're the one being mean! You've been making a rude comments on everything she does! You've been so hostile to her this entire time!" I scream.
She slams her hand on the table and spills her latte. "You think I'm the one being rude!? She's screwing up my life! How can you even side with her on this!? She makes my life a mess!" She yelled.

"Well, maybe if you would stop blaming others for what you fucking did, it wouldn't be a mess."

"Blaming?! That's what everybody thinks! Everybody says she's a perfect little angel and I'm the devil. She has everything! Everything! And now, people like you want me to be her? Why do people expect me to be like her all the time? What does she do that's so fucking special?!"

"Oh I don't know, maybe cause she isn't acting like a constant bitch 90% of the time. They were probably trying to fucking help you, cause if you were actually like her, your life wouldn't be such a drama story for you!" I yell angrily.

"Maybe if you would open your damn eyes, You would know that she is a bitch! Besides, you can tell those so called 'helpers' that rude and hateful words aren't helping me! And if you think that they're right, you can go fuck yourself! You'd be just like everyone else. Matter of fact, you'd fit right in. As long as you act like you hate everything and think life is a pain in the ass!" She screams.