Chapter 15

Fernanda's P.O.V.
The car ride back is relatively silent, aside from the shifting and fidgeting in the back.
Not an awkward silence, but a hostile one. Everybody seemed a bit tense.
I was sitting in the passenger seat, Bruno driving at my side. His eyes were glued to the road and his face was serious.
I forgave him, but that wasn't to say I wasn't pissed. I let him win purposefully, knowing that there was no way he would let me be until I did.
I also had my eyes fixed on the road, trying my hardest not to break. What Bruno told me was still ringing in my ears. The words still stung painfully inside my head. I always thought that he saw me as a person, not a monster. Now, my faith in that theory is beginning to shake.
So is my faith in him.
Phil was sitting in the back next to Lucero. He was gazing out the window. His face was emotionless, but his eyes showed frustration. He hasn't spoken this entire time, keeping his attention stuck on the endless trees and houses we pass.
Lucero, Laila, and Eliza were crammed awkwardly in the middle.
The seemed to notice the tension, but kept their mouths shut.
Jessie sat next to the opposite window, a look of longing and frustration splattered on her face.
This wasn't the way things should be.
Laila should be home doing homework and obeying mom and dad. Everybody should be laughing, making fun of the smallest of things. Bruno should be trying to make me smile
I wanted to tell everyone. I wanted to scream out those words as loud as I could. I wanted to make myself heard. But the moment I opened my mouth, my words trembled violently and my voice shrunk to a murmur.
"I-I-t s-s-shoul-l-dn-n't b-b-be lik-ke th-his-s"
Nobody even looked. Nobody even glanced.
I guess it shouldn't have bothered me the way it did.
A little while later we finally reach the apartment complex. We get out the car, climb up the stairs, and open the door in complete silence.
As soon as the door was open, almost everybody went different directions. Bruno went to our room, Ari strided to his room, Eliza went to the kitchen, Phil went to the studio, Jessie following Phil and I followed Bruno to our room.
Lucero and Laila stood awkwardly in the Living room.
I walk into open the door and go in to our room. Bruno and I share the biggest room in the house. Phil and Ari have the 2 smaller bedrooms. Even though we have the biggest room, it's still the cleanest place besides the kitchen. One of Bruno's shirts lie on the dresser, while an empty bag of chips sits on the nightstand. Other than that, nothing seems out of place.
Bruno was sitting on the bed, rubbing the back of his head. I walk over to him and sit beside him. I could tell he was upset, and he knew that I could.
After a brief moment of silence, he said, "Why did you lie about forgiving me?"
I look down at my shoes silently, swinging them back and forth. I felt his gaze ripping right through me. His chocolate brown eyes seemed to melt through. For a moment, I thought he had looked away and I glanced up. He remained with his head turned, attention fixed on me. Our eyes met, and I could tell he was hurt.
"Fern..." He murmured. "I love you, but every time something like this happens, you lie to me. I feel like you hate me. It just..." He continued until his voice faded. In that one moment I want to apologize, I feel sorry.
"I'm sorry." I say blankly. It sounded like I was forced to say the words rather than meaning them. His eyes turn dull at that.
"Don't make yourself feel sorry," he said. He got up and started to walk to our bathroom. I quickly followed him in.
"Fern, I don't have time to hear anything if you don't mean it."
"No Bruno, I do! Really I do mean it! I really do! Please Bruno!" I cried. Bruno stares surprisingly at the rate it took me to turn from a teenager to a 4 year old girl. "Please Bruno, I really am. I just hate seeing you mad and stuff so I want to solve the problem easily." I continued.
"Even if it meant my feelings didn't matter," I said.
"Baby..." He said softly. His voice always seemed to soothe me. "Your feelings always matter. Never think otherwise."
I loved him so much. I didn't know how to tell him, cause after all, I'm no charmer. I lean toward him and kiss his lips lightly. I feel his warmth slowly invade me as we stay there, lips locked. I didn't know if it made a difference, but I tried my best to show my love.
He pulled away and looked deeply at me. His forehead was against mine, and I could hear his light breaths.
"I love you."
"I love you too, B."
My words hung bluntly, as if there was no more meaning to them. As if love was only air.
Little did we know, love was a very strong word.
And a very strong game to play.