Chapter 7

Laila's P.O.V.

I listen wearily to Millie sobbing in the changing room. I wince at a particularly loud cry. Sitting across from me, Jennie mouths I'm sorry. My eyes fall to my lap, where I'm welcomed by little familiarity. At least I know my fingers aren't fake.

"It's horrible! I look like the grinch," she cries.
"Calm down, it's just a dress." Jennie replies through the door.

"But it looks so ugly!" Millie shouts from her dressing room. I roll my eyes. In all honesty, I'm surprised they haven't rolled out of their sockets yet onto the department store floor. There isn't anyone more dramatic than the child in that dressing room I could think of. Child is the wrong word to use. She doesn't even look like a child.

Mulling over the appropriate name, I jump at the sound of plastic being thrown on the floor. My eyes drift to Millie's room, and land on the mirror nearby.
My brown hair is in a rushed bun on the crown of my head, strands escaping from the grasp of my elastic. The red tee I hastily put on clings to the extra stomach like a thin web around my body. Long legs crossed on the wooden bench, an astonishing feat for myself. My skinny jeans wrap tightly around every bulge of thigh I had. I look ridiculous.
A few feet away sits Jennie's elegant figure. Her sleek black hair is tied in a neat, complex braid, the wires of hair tightly held together. The expensive, white, lace blouse curves her body perfectly, flowing into her hot pink shorts. Two smooth thin legs cross at the ankles, gently swaying. Jennie's hazel eyes skid across her phone screen, reading. She resembles Millie's face, but not as youthful and beautiful. A nose too crooked, a chin to sharp, a mouth to large are enough to throw her off the path of beauty. She's no Millie, but my eyes always caught her thin hourglass figure.
"Ugh, I hate this! I hate all of it!" Millie screeches, and I'm whisked from my thoughts again.
"Keep your voice down," I lecture, "we'll get in trouble if you don't."
"Trouble?! Trouble?!" Millie shouts, even louder than before. Jennie and I flinch at the sound of her voice.
"This dress is trouble! This store is trouble! The dance is trouble! Life is nothing but trouble!" She sobs loudly.

Jennie sighs and I do the same. She's so dramatic I thought.

Jennie must have read my mind and replies, "Millie's probably on her period or something. Then there's the dance stressing her out..."

I shrug. I'm stressed too, but I'm not beating others with shouts and screams.

"Look, just let her be dramatic. She might be just going through something and will get better soon." Jennie says, not willing to strive for my approval. Not that she would get it anytime soon.

I nod my head but don't verbally respond. I don't want to make things worse by opening my mouth at the wrong time. I don't want to repeat my morning with another teenager. A teenager whose sisters with my friend.
Another word that didn't describe Millie. What would fit? Label? Ally? No, allies help each other. One doesn't do the other's math work for crumbs of popularity. That's use.

Millie pops her head out the dressing room, wet mascara covering her cheeks.

"Go get a size 4 for this," she demands throwing the azure dress at me.

I wander over to a chubby elderly woman sorting out jeans.

"Can I have this in a size 4 please?" I say to the clerk. She nods her head and rushes over to the rack near the checkouts. I stand and wait.

My mind drifts, following the mirage of strobe lights and sparkly dresses. Sure, I don't know how to dance but Felix does. Maybe he can even teach me. If not, we'd just be swaying to whatever music is on.
And Millie? A voice asked.

Millie, she would be happy for me. She would hug me and congratulate me by leaning me alone the entire dance. That's why she insisted on my arrival.

The question stands firm without the hint of an answer.
Why does Millie truly want me to come to the dance?
I've never been to one. I've had no boyfriend to go with nor any friends to cherish the moment with. I couldn't dance to the beat. All I knew was how to stand still and keep my mouth shut.

Curiosity collects the best of my mind and, before I know it, the lady hovers over me with the dress for Millie. I grab the dress and slowly make my way over to the changing rooms.

I realized this alliance might be more risky than I thought. Maybe I should be more careful.

Maybe.

-------------

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been updating as often! I'm trying to write up more new chapters and edit them more thoroughly. Anyways, I've been making changes to previous chapters. Nothing major, but I've fixed some mistakes here and there. Mostly typos and spelling errors.

I will be trying to update at least once a week, if not twice.

Thanks for all your votes and support as well! This is my first story and it's not as well written as some of the ones I've read so far. I appreciate your patience and support! Thank you. :)

-SheCat_Mars