Forever isn't Enough

And so he played.

From Chopin to Schubert, from Beethoven to Czerny and all the way over to the cold northern lands with Grieg, Alfred enjoyed every second of playing the piano in the living room of the Kirkland household, having what it seemed to be a small concert for the family in which he showed them what he was able to do with a simple electric keyboard. He melted into the music, and for a split second forgot about all the tragedy. His mind just created a whole different, colourful world on the inside, making him get lost in its sound. Once he finished, the boy had an honest smile on his face, along with a few tears rolling down his cheeks just from the thought that in this exact moment, the people around him all appreciated and liked his playing, no one was going to punish him for it with words or violence, and he could finally, for at least one second, be proud of it.

"That was... Incredible! Alfred, you're so talented!" Alice Kirkland was the first to comment, delighted by his performance. Despite everything that was happening at the moment, the sound of music brought light to the world, and they were grateful for Alfred possessing such talent.

"Yes, indeed. This was one of the best things I've heard, I must admit." The father smiled gently, feeling a bit proud of Alfred, which kind of confused him. The Jones brothers weren't his sons, but it all seemed like they were one big family.

The American was incredibly flustered at the remarks and comments he had gotten, making him just shyly smile back and look down, not knowing what to do in moments like these.
In the past four years, he didn't really have good experiences with playing piano at home. But now, he felt as if his music wasn't so worthless.
Sure, the anxious and greater part of him kept telling him how they Kirklands are all lying, and how no one enjoyed to hear him play, but he tried his best to focus on that smaller part of him which told him how he should truly be proud of himself for this not so small achievement.

But the best part was seeing Arthur and Matthew happy.

Oh, it seemed like life with a bunch of crazy Brits for a while wouldn't be so bad after all.

- - -

The next morning

"Oh for god's sake, am I the only one around here who wakes up early...?"
Matthew sighed and muttered the words under his breath as he walked into the unfamiliar kitchen and poured himself a glass of water. He glanced at the clock which was hanging on the wall next to the cupboards. Six in the morning.

Everyone was asleep. Of course, he understood Alfred's sleepiness, but he expected at least someone to be awake. Arthur, his parents, one of the brothers... But no. All his life he was the one to wake up first, why would that suddenly stop now?

But after searching through the cabinets for something that could ease his morning, he found some hot chocolate ingrediends and quickly made himself a cup. Sitting by the table, the boy pulled out his phone and aimlessly scrolled through the news bar as he drank the warm beverage.

Six thirty.

All he could hear was snoring from the shared room of Arthur and his brothers. At this point, he prepared coffee for the adults, letting it heat up for when they're awake, and got started on the breakfast toast.
This was his second day in this house, and also the second time he used their new toaster which worked so much better than the one he had at his place.

Seven.

Unexpectedly, Matthew was snapped out of his thoughts by footsteps from the back, and once he whipped his head around to see who was coming, he spotted his tired brother drowsily walking over to the table.

"Morning", Alfred mumbled tiredly.

"Finally someone", the younger rolled his eyes, placing the heated up toast in front of Alfred. "Here, eat this. Also, why are you awake anyway? You're not going to school for the whole week. You should have just turned around and continued sleeping."