Chapter 14

*****Since you all are awesome I'm giving you a second chapter this week. Hope you enjoy it!*****

The wounded man grasped Jade tightly, she could already feel his blood soaking the back of her shirt. Prince Reiner had taken a horse but she worried that he wouldn't stay conscious long enough to make it to an outpost. "Keep an eye on him," she whispered to James. He nodded once, annoyed that she thought she even had to remind him. He would ride with Reiner along with one other guard and highborn. It left Jade with four remaining guards, two highborns, and the wounded servant gripping to Jade's shirt. "Good luck," Jade said and then turned Chance to leave.

"Wait," the prince called out. "What is your name?"

"Jade," she said. "My name is Jade."

"Jade," he repeated, putting it to memory with a small nod. "Should you survive and find yourself in the Capital..." he seemed at a loss for words.

"Thank you," she nodded, understanding. "Now go, before they realize we're taking too long and come looking for us."

Jade watched the prince ride away, she doubted she would ever again meet a member of the royal family. She doubted she would even live long enough to see nightfall but she didn't let that doubt show on her face. "Our turn," she said and the group rode toward the estate. She hoped she had made the right decision in splitting up the men. Had it been up to her she would have suggested they take the chance and all ride for the outpost, but the prince cared about the innocent lives at the estate. So Jade had to risk her life once more to ensure the safety of the prince and his people.

The wolf stayed ahead and out of sight, he kept alert for trouble. Jade had only guessed what move Viper would make next. It was possible they could come across her here in the woods before they ever made it to the estate. Her mind was rolling through possible scenarios but she had no way of knowing where or when they'd encounter Viper. She could only guess what she would do if she were in Viper's boots. She spoke out loud to the group, giving them instructions of what they should do whenever they finally met trouble.

"What's your name?" Jade then asked the servant riding behind her.

"Henry," he coughed.

"You're very brave, Henry." The wound in his gut was bad. When he offered to take Reiners place on her horse and serve as decoy she had wrapped the wound to help stave off the bleeding. But she doubted they would make it to a healer in time. She doubted that a healer could help him at all, even now. He had offered to be Reiners decoy immediately. Jade thought that he already knew he was in bad shape. They came to the road not long later and Jade resisted the urge to ride faster. The horses would need any remaining stamina for what was about to come.

When the group emerged from the woods it didn't take long for the wolf to alert her. There was a scent on the wind that was familiar. "Ready?" she asked to the group. They nodded their heads and chorused their hesitant yeses. They unsheathed their swords.

The nobleman who was the fastest rider was at Jade's side. "You know your job," Jade said to him.

"I will be faster than the wind," he promised.

She was about to reply when Viper and the northmen emerged from the orchards on either side of the road, shouting war cries as they came. Viper was at the head on her black horse a whip still coiled in her free hand.

Jade squeezed Chances side. "GO!" she shouted and the mare tore off the road into an open row of the orchard. The path was barely wide enough for two riders abreast and the tangled branches of the apple trees grew low in places, forcing them to duck or be knocked from their saddles.