Chapter 3

As time passed at Nemroy's estate Jade developed a semblance of a schedule for herself. In the mornings she rose early and trained in the garden behind the estate while the air was still cold. Jade could smell the coming spring on the breeze and knew it would only be a matter of time before the rains came with warmer temperatures and longer days.

Many highborn came and called on Jade. Now that she wasn't an apprentice, the ladies of Felkor all wanted to come pay their good wishes. With each visit Jade's old lessons in etiquette and manners came back to her, much to her disappointment. She wore dresses and drank tea in a way that would have made her mother proud and she hated every second.

In the evenings Jade rode to clear her head. Nemroy had a small stable and his horses were all trained to fit a Protector's needs. The stableman, Ben, was happy to let her exercise the creatures and the horses also seemed to enjoy the change of scenery since Nemroy was rarely home to take them out himself. Weeks passed with this routine and each day something inside Jade's soul grew restless.

"Jade." Darlene knocked at her door early one evening.

"Yes?" she called.

"There is a visitor here to see you," she said through the door.

Jade frowned, she was about to go for a ride and had just changed into her riding clothes. "Can you tell them that I am unavailable?" she asked.

"I'm afraid I already showed them into the parlor," Darlene explained.

Jade stared at the ceiling with a prick of annoyance, counted to five to control her temper, and then opened her door. "I'm about to go for my ride, so they will have to be fine with me accepting them in my riding clothes." She didn't wait for a response. She knew Darlene would have argued if she had paused to let her.

The visitor was not another highborn lady like Jade expected. It was a Protector, in full Protector garb. He wore all black with dark leather. His long cloak bunched at his collarbones and fell across one shoulder. The cloak was held in place by a plain black leather clasp. The gold wolf emblem of the Protectors was stitched over his heart. He stood when Jade entered the study as did his wolf. "Lady Dryden," he bowed formally.

Jade recovered from her surprise and bowed in return. "I'm afraid I don't know your name," she said honestly. She didn't recognize him and was sure she'd never met him before. He had brown hair that held hints of grey hairs near his ears, but his face was shaved and his smile made him look younger. Though Jade assumed he was past thirty.

"I am Lewis Greenhill," he said, still smiling. "You would not remember me, I believe. I graduated from the academy some time before you started your training and we've never formally met." She recognized the name, in fact Jade seemed to remember Lady Greenhill being among the first to visit after she left the Academy.

"It's an honor to meet you," she said. Indeed, it wasn't every day Jade had the pleasure of speaking to a Protector who was still actively serving. Then she wondered why he was in Felkor away from his Sworn. He must have business with the Elders.

"I'm afraid my uncle is not at home. He spends most of his time at the Academy where his duties as an Elder keep him occupied," she explained.

Lewis shook his head. "I'm not here for Elder Nemroy, though I did get the pleasure of seeing your uncle earlier today. I am in fact here to visit you, Miss Dryden," he said. "But, it seems I have come at a bad hour." His eyes regarded her riding clothes.

"Not a bad hour," Jade corrected. "You simply caught me as I was about to go for a ride."

"Ah, well in that case, may I have the honor in accompanying you?" he asked. "There is no reason to change your plans on my account."