Chapter 7

There was a mix of new energy and peace when Jade woke the next morning. The sun was shining, the earth smelled fresh from the recent rain and Gregor was there with Stone. There to help her. Jade hadn't believed it at first. She thought maybe he was playing some cruel trick. An Elder wanted to help her escape and defy Felkorian law? It seemed absurd. Impossible.

But then Gregor explained himself. It wasn't that he wanted to defy Felkor or the other Elders. In fact, they would never know about his involvement. He was here in secret. In the end, it had nothing to do with the Elders or Felkor Law, but Jade herself.

He was there for the sole reason that he believed in her.

"I told you before, there are still great things inside you," he had said. "I would be dishonoring myself, your family, and you if I didn't help in some way. The greatest thing I have learned so far in life is that it is the duties of elders to allow the next generation to build upon our shoulders. Not just Felkorians, but everyone. It is the only way we will ever make progress. I've had my time. I've had my glory. Now it's your turn to stand on my shoulders and go even further."

Jade stretched and stood. Stone was gone, probably hunting or scouting the area for trouble, or whatever Guardians did. She checked her clothes. They were dry from hanging so near to the fire so Jade pulled them down and folded them tightly so they could be packed.

"Good morning," Gregor said when he woke. "Did Stone wander off?"

"He wasn't here when I woke up," she said.

"Well, we better pack up and get moving," he said. "The dun mare is yours. You can saddle her and pack your things." He nodded to the horse standing on the left. Jade looked to the mare and then walked up to her. The horse sniffed at her empty palm and then Jade rubbed her nose gently.

"Her name is Chance," Gregor offered. "She was given to me in my last year of service. She still has some years left in her and she's got more experience than some of the younger horses. I think you'll both get along just fine."

"Hello Chance," Jade greeted the mare and then turned to Gregor. "She's beautiful. I'm honored by this gift. Thank you."

"You were trained on Felkorian horses. It only makes sense for you to have her," he dismissed quickly. The outward show of appreciation appeared to make him uncomfortable so Jade didn't mention it further. Instead she gathered her supplies and saddled the mare in silence.

They walked the horses from the barn and led them down the field to where there was an opening to the road. Everything was still sloppy and muddy from the storm. "I can take you as far as the crossroads," Gregor said later as they rode. "I'm afraid after that I need to head back to Felkor and you'll be on your own."

Jade nodded wordlessly, now that Gregor was here she wasn't sure she'd be able to make it without him. She had only lasted two days before she had panicked. How did she expect to survive? Gregor glanced at her. "You didn't bring weapons?" he asked.

"I was going to," Jade admitted, feeling defensive for not being more prepared. "But when the time came I couldn't bring myself to take what wasn't mine. I've brought enough money to acquire what I need. If nothing else, Felkor may call me an exile, but they can't call me a thief."

Gregor turned away with a small sardonic smile. "That's debatable," he argued. "You'd be surprised what people will feel justified calling you. Some will call you a thief simply for acquiring Felkorian training without giving back to the community like you were expected to.

"Anyway, I can give you the names of some blacksmiths. It's been years, so whether they are all still alive or still work their trade is not certain. But, if they are and you give them my name they will give you a fair price and a solid weapon. I would tell you to wait until you're in the Capital to make your purchase but I don't like the idea of you being unarmed for so long. It would also be considerably more expensive. If I had known you'd need weapons I would have brought you those as well. I would give you my own if I didn't think it would raise suspicion."