Chapter 5

Jade didn't sleep. Not only was her heart pounding with what was coming, but she also needed to prepare. She found her leather pack and went through a mental list of what she would need. Someone would get suspicious if she was seen taking too much with her for what was supposed to be a two day trip. But, Jade knew that if she packed carefully she would be able to bring the necessary items for her to survive, without looking over burdened.

She would wear her cloak and pack an extra set of clothes. She would only take one pair of boots. They were well worn but still had plenty of life in them. She brought a map of the provinces, a flint stone, a water skin, and her knife. Jade packed a small supply of food, but knew that she could hunt or eventually buy more and didn't wish to waste more space or add the extra weight.

Jade reached into the back of her wardrobe and found the sack of coins she had placed there. It was the only money she would take with her. It was a fair sum and would hold her over until she could find work. The letter she left with Marcus would be given to her uncle, it held details that she was giving all of her land and inheritance to him. She would have nothing the moment she left, and somehow that made it easier. There would be no ties to Felkor, only her memories. She packed basic medicinal herbs and then strapped her bedroll on top.

There was only one thing that Jade still needed—weapons. She knew she could buy weapons outside of Felkor, but she wanted to save as much of her gold as possible for food and lodging and any other unforeseen expenses. It also seemed foolish to buy weapons when there were excellent weapons within reach.

In the dark early hours of the morning Jade snuck through the house to her uncle's room. It was empty as Jade expected. Last night after the guests had all gone Nemroy had returned to the Academy. She had said goodbye and watch him go, knowing it would be the last time she ever saw him. She closed the bedroom door behind her and walked to the empty fireplace.

Hanging on the wall above the mantel were Nemroy's weapons from his days as a Protector; his sword and sheath, his bow and quiver. Jade stared at weapons in the darkened light. She could recall almost every detail from when she had stared at them as a little girl. Jade reached up to take them from their perch and then hesitated.

Her fingers hovered a moment and then Jade pulled away and stepped back, holding her hands to her chest. "I can't," she said as though the blade and bow were listening. She hadn't expected to feel such conviction. She knew now that she wouldn't be able to take the sword and bow. No matter how much she might need them. She stood there a moment longer, staring at Nemroy's weapons and then snuck quietly back to her room.

Sitting on the edge of her bed Jade stared at the darkened floor until the morning light began brighten her room. Her plan was already off kilter and she had yet to step foot outside of the house. She had fully expected to take Nemroy's weapons to use as her own outside of Felkor.

"If only you didn't have a conscious," she told herself. But, deep in her heart she was glad she wasn't taking Roy's things. She didn't want to steal from her uncle. She also wanted to make history with her own sword. Perhaps it would be better this way.

Jade changed into a set of her clothes, pulled on her cloak and boots and secured the pack onto her back. To her surprise, the staff were all waiting for her at the front door to see her off properly. Even Ben had pulled away from the stable to give his well wishes. Forcing herself to look composed Jade thanked all of them individually and even gave Darlene a short hug.

The hike to the mountains was quiet. The morning was uncharacteristically cold and the sun was hidden by a cover of clouds, casting strange shadows across the lands whenever the sun shone through. Jade didn't smell rain in the air, but she knew in the higher elevation of the mountains the weather could be unpredictable.