Chapter 10

It was clear to Jade that Lady Gray held no particular care to her well being. In fact, it seemed to Jade that the Lady was under the impression that the Protectors were after Jade because they wanted to kill her, so she wasn't given food rations and barely enough water to survive.

It would probably be worse if she knew the truth of my identity and why they were after me.

Jade was watched but not guarded. She knew if Lady Gray realized what sort of prisoner she had, Jade would not be left so unattended. As it was, Jade was only watched in passing. Which was to her advantage.

People came to the wagons to fetch supplies but no one ever stopped or spoke with her and Jade didn't' bother trying to make conversation to gain information. She was grateful that there seemed to be an understanding with the Lady and her men, Jade was never touched or bothered. Jeb came a few times during the day to give Jade a cup of water. He held it for her while she tipped her head and drank.

Her head still throbbed from the blow she had sustained and she still could not open her left eye. She knew it had stopped bleeding but she was sure she looked like hell. She couldn't remember the last time she'd had a proper bath either, and now she was covered with mud and blood. Perhaps that was the reason that no one came near or touched her. Perhaps it was simply because she smelled and looked too disgusting.

When Jeb came to give Jade water for the third time that day Jade told him she had to use the bathroom. "You keep giving me water which I'm grateful for but, now I have to pee," Jade told him bluntly.

He swallowed, looking uncomfortable, as though he had not thought of the possibility that Jade would need to take care of herself. "Wait just a moment," he finally said and wandered off. Jade watched him walk across the clearing to where Lady Gray was sitting in front of her tent. She looked at Jade while she spoke and then waved her hand at Jeb and he returned with a coil of rope.

"No tricks or you'll regret it," he warned Jade and she nodded.

He carefully untied Jade's hands and she gave a sigh of relief the moment they were loose. The blood came flowing back to her fingertips and she rotated her stiff shoulders. Being tied to a wagon was not a very forgiving position. Jeb re-tied her hands tightly in front of her and tied another length of rope around her neck and led her like a dog on a leash. He was taking no risks.

Jade didn't care about her pride, it was amazing to stretch her legs and get a clear sight of the campsite. She casually and carefully counted heads and took note of anything significant while Jeb led her to where they had dug the latrine outside of camp.

"Go on then," Jeb said, feeding her a small length of rope. Jade looked at the hole in the ground and then looked a Jeb.

"Do I get any privacy?" she asked. He let out a short breath and turn his back to her. The temptation to kill him was there, but Jade had more wisdom than to try and take a man Jeb's size unarmed. As weak and hungry as she was she wouldn't be a match. Instead she used the bathroom and breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm finished," she said when she had pulled her pants back up. Jeb glanced over his shoulder then tugged on the rope.

"Jeb," Jade said. "I don't have any right to ask but...could we take the long way back to the wagon? It feels good to stretch my legs." Jeb just tugged on the rope and didn't say a word. He didn't necessarily take her directly back to the wagon, but Jade hardly considered it a walk. Still, she was grateful for any second that she wasn't tied to a wagon wheel. When Jade was secured again to the wagon she thanked Jeb and he walked away silently. Already, a plan was forming in Jade's mind.

"Rider's approaching!" Someone shouted from the woods beyond the campsite. Jade's head snapped up from when she had been dozing and she blinked a few times. Her left eye was still swollen and glued with old blood but she was starting to be able to crack it slightly.