Chapter 11

Hi everyone!! So sorry this chapter is late. I was struggling with this chapter a little bit but I finally finished it somewhat pleased with how it turned out! I hope you enjoy it!!

Happy reading!!

Summer's POV

Mate.

The moment the word sparked across my mind, I felt as though the whole world had slowed to a complete stop around me. All I could hear was the loud drum of my heart as it almost beat out my chest.

A tingling sensation ran across my skin from where his hand was clasped around my arm, goosebumps following as a shiver ran down my spine. A giant ball of warmth spread from his hand beneath my skin to envelope my entire body, consuming me. I couldn't tear my eyes away from him.

So this was what the mate bond was like. I felt breathless and starry eyed. My world had expanded ten-fold in just a moment. I was restless and bursting with energy but at the same time relaxed and calm. I felt like I could run a marathon and yet I felt like I couldn't take another step without collapsing. It was like all my senses were being sent into over-drive. My world was suddenly sparking with colours, sounds, smells and sensations that I had been blind to before now and I found it very hard to focus on anything other than my mate.

My breath escaped me and my thoughts ran aground. How had I been living before now?

And for a few wonderful moments, I forgot all my pain, all my worries, everything that had been troubling me since leaving home and I felt at peace. 

But just as quickly the shock of my reality sunk back in.

Mate.

I could hardly believe it. My heart stammered, my whole body tensing up as my mind went completely blank. I couldn't think, I couldn't breath. I was in shock.

I felt like a fish out of water, gaping and wide eyed, gasping for air. My mind was reeling. I couldn't process what was happening right before my eyes.

My mind had been the furthest away from the subject of mates, let alone the subject of my own. I had been so focused on surviving, protecting Lilly and getting away from this place that the notion had not even occurred to me. In fact, I hadn't even thought of finding my mate since I had left my pack and my home. 

So now, to all of a sudden be faced with the very thing I had been dreaming of since I was a kid, the moment I would meet my fated mate, I was at a complete loss. 

All I could think was, Now? Right now? 

I really could not catch a break anymore.

Feeling extremely overwhelmed, a sudden flood of exhaustion washed over me, leaving me feeling drained. I thought I might just pass out from shock when a sudden shout brought me back to reality.

"There she is! Don't let her get away!"

I snapped my eyes away to just behind my mate and the source of the shout, where the two guards I had taken down just moments before were stumbling out of the storage room, one had a hand clutched to their throat the other to their forehead. 

At the emergence of danger my mind cleared and my flight instincts kicked in. Only sparing my mate one last glance, I ripped my arm from his grip and took off down the hall, away from the guards and then turning right, down a wide hallway with large windows, the sun spilled out across the floor. I didn't have time for mates right now, I had to find my sister and get out of here. Turning to see where my pursuers were, I didn't notice the large double doors opening to my right and the wolves that emerged from it.