Chapter 1

Hi! I am so sorry for not uploading for so long. SO VERY SORRY! well here is the new and improved chapter 1!!!

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED!

THIS STORY IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN, ALL BOOK CONTENT, SEQUELS, PROLOGUES/EPILOGUES ETC. ARE RESERVED BY THE OWNER AND CREATOR OF THIS BOOK (BrokenMemories).

ENJOY!

I groaned as I woke to the ear splitting beep of my alarm clock. Rolling over I pulled my pillow over my head to try and block out the sound, unsuccessfully. I groaned again before reaching for it. My hand fumbled for the right button, randomly slamming down on each one. As I reached out further and further I eventually lost my balance and tumbled to the ground, bringing the blankets down with me. Now well and truly awake I untangled myself and shut off my alarm so I could finally get some quiet. You've probably guessed by now, but I'm not exactly a morning person.

I sat up and checked the time, 8:00 am. I got up and went to the bathroom to take a quick shower and get dressed. Today I decided to wear some casual jeans, a short-sleeve plain black shirt and some old converses before pulling my dark blond hair back into a messy bun. With one last look over my appearance and satisfied I looked decent enough I left the tiny bathroom, ready to start the day.

Shuffling towards the kitchen in search of food I passed Lilly's room. Lilly, my little sister was eleven years old with big brown eyes and dark brown hair. Her bedroom was the only bedroom in our tiny granny flat and was only big enough for a bed and a night stand. When we had moved in, I had insisted Lilly take the bedroom and I would take the coach, it wasn't so bad, just a little bit on the lumpy side, but I made do.

As quietly as I could I peeked into her room to see her sleeping soundly. I smiled and continued toward the kitchen. We didn't have much in terms of variety for food, so it didn't take very long for me to decide to go with two pieces of toast with jam. While I attempted to retrieve the toast out of our old lump of metal we used as a toaster, the familiar light footsteps and a muffled yawn I recognised belonging to my sister bought my attention, as she came groggily down the hall to the kitchen. I smiled at her as she sat on one of the kitchen seats and placed her head down on the bench.

"Well good morning, sleeping beauty" I teased as I set one of the pieces of toast down in front of her. "Did you sleep well?"

Her only response was a yawn.

I laughed lightly then gestured at the piece of toast. "Well eat up then. We have lots of things to get done today."

Frowning at me she finally spoke, "What things?" and then took a large bite of toast.

"Well, we need to do some shopping today. We're low on food and you are in desperate need of some new clothes. What happened to them? Did you pick a fight with the ground again? Let me tell you now, you're fighting a losing battle."

Brightening at the mention of shopping and new clothes, Lilly was quick to swallow, "When are we going?"

"As soon as you're ready." I replied starting to eat my own piece of toast.

*****

"What about this one?" Lilly asked, holding up a pretty blue dress. It fell off one shoulder and was tight around the bodice to flow down from the waist to just above the knee.

I sighed, "Lilly, we've been through this. We don't have the money to buy pretty dresses and skirts and high heel boots. We're looking for practical things, like this." I pulled a plain black t-shirt from the rack.

"But it's so boring. No one will notice me." She sulked.

"That's the idea, genius." I rolled my eyes. I threw the t-shirt at her along with some plain jeans. "Now stop sulking and try those on."

Muttering to herself, she made her way over to the fitting rooms. I sighed and returned to skimming through the clothes on the rack in front of me.

We've been living on our own for a month or so, ever since being kicked out by our parents. Well I had been kicked and it hadn't been until the morning after, already a good few hours away from home, when I had found Lilly stowed away in the back seat smothered under the various things I had packed last minuet. I was unable to convince her to return home and after our many screaming matches and a lot of tears I gave in. It's been rough, but we've been managing. After getting as far away as we could with the limited funds we had we were able to settle in this town and make something of a life for ourselves. I had gotten a job at the café down the road from our one bedroom, one bathroom granny flat down the back of the owners property. The old lady who owns it was surprised when we had contacted her, asking about the ad she had posted about it online. She'd let us rent it of course, a little cheaper than advertised, in return for some help in the garden, which Lilly does mostly, as I am often working.

Unfortunately, Lilly hasn't been handling the new life style quite as well. She was used to wearing designer clothes every day, and eating gourmet meals three times a day. So our new life has been quite a shock to her though she was trying her best. But she had chosen this, she hadn't been forced into it, so she was going to have to adjust.

We never stayed in one place for too long, so we would be moving on eventually. One reason not to put down any roots here. So we never tried to make any friends with anyone. Which was harder than what I had first thought, this neighborhood was quite the friendly type, much to my dismay. People in our street came around to welcome us and meet our 'parents'. I had to lie right through my teeth, about how our parents were at work, or asleep or out shopping. But eventually they would figure something was up, but by then we would be long gone. Fingers crossed.

"I don't like it," Lilly said coming out of the change rooms.

I looked back at the rack I was going through, "It's perfect. Now go and get dressed then come and chose one more outfit." She started to reach out for the blue dress before I stopped her, without looking up: "except that." She withdrew her hand folding them over her chest, staring daggers at me. "Oh come on don't be like that." I said looking back up at her. "You know why we can't wear pretty clothes all the time, apart from the cost, we cannot be noticed. If they find out we're here, they'll throw us out at best. I don't even want to think about what they'll do otherwise, so stop your complaining. They can never find us."

She pouted then went back into the change rooms to get changed.

*****

"See that wasn't so bad, was it?" We were in our car, on our way back to our temporary 'home'. My parents weren't so heartless that they wouldn't give me their fifteen year old car as well as a small amount of money to get away as fast as possible.

Lilly didn't reply. She just glared at me from the back seat through the rearview mirror. She was giving me the silent treatment. She wouldn't even sit next to me in the front seat. We had ended up getting two sets of jeans, one black and two blue tops. So from the moment I had bought them, during the grocery shopping and now on the way home she hadn't spoken one word to me.

"Fine then, don't talk to me. But throwing a tantrum now isn't doing you any favours." She still didn't reply and instead huffed and turned to glare out the window, which only fuelled my frustration further. "You knew it would be like this Lil. I told you it wouldn't be like how we lived with mum and dad, but you refused to return home when you had the chance. You chose to stay with me so don't start complaining to me now just because you've found out you don't like it." I told her heatedly, a rant starting to form itself in my mind. But before I could continue, my train of thought was broken when our residence came into view and there, peering into the darkened windows was a middle aged woman with a plastic container in hand.

Muttering a curse under my breath, I considered just driving by and waiting for her to leave. But I knew she would only just come back around and I had groceries that really needed to be put in the fridge, so it was better if I just faced her now rather than later. Collecting myself I turned to drive down dirt driveway and towards another conversation of carefully constructed smiles, pleasantries and numerous lies.

And there it is!! The first chapter!! I hope you enjoyed it! Please continue to read and support my story!!

Thank you,

BM xx