Chapter 9

Jason's POV

"Did you guys hear about what happened during the full moon ritual last night?" Hannah burst out as she flopped down next to Jessica on the edge of the water.

We had camped out last night, by the waterfall at the edge of our pack boundaries for the full moon ritual like we did every year since we were kids, though we didn't come with our parents anymore. Luke and I were currently messing about in the shallow pool while Sam sat on one of the large boulders playing his guitar.

"No. Did something happen? Did it have anything to do with that howl and strange scent Jason picked up?" Jessica shrugged, the only one paying Hannah her full attention.

"I don't know but something definitely happened and it was big cause now it turns out all those rogue rumours were true."

"No way, stop messing with us Han. It's not even that believable. Everyone knows those rumours were made up to scare the little kids in the pack." Luke shrugged her off.

"No, I'm being serious right now. Millie just mind linked me and told me the whole thing. Apparently her mate was one of the ones that brought them in too." Hannah insisted.

"Pfft. There's no way your sister's mate could have done that! Even I'm way better fighter than he is." Luke rebuffed again.

Frustrated, Hannah stood and kicked water in his face, sending him spluttering. "Shut up Luke! I'm being serious right now!"

"So you've said." he muttered, wiping water out of his eyes.

"But if there really were rogues in our territory surely Jason's dad would've said something, right?" Jessica reasoned.

"Actually he did." I admitted, moving to sit on the edge of the water with the others

That had gotten everyones attention, even Sam had stopped fiddling with his guitar. "Wait what? And you didn't say anything to any of us?" Hannah demanded, turning to look down on me in anger.

"Maybe he couldn't." Jessica tried to excuse me.

"It was only brought up once during the meeting the other day. I suppose... I don't know. I guess I just didn't want to worry you guys?" I tried.

"Leave Jas alone Han. He can't tell us everything all the time. That's just his responsibility as the future alpha, you know that." Sam intervened.

At her mates interference, Hannah relented and mumbled an apology which I simply shrugged off. 

"What else did your sister say Han?" Jessica asked.

"About what?"

"About the rogues, where they were caught, what they're doing here, who they are. Stuff like that." Luke intervened, interested now, moving to stand in front of us, only ankle deep in the water.

"Hmm, I think she said they were found out near the northern border-"

"Then that howl and strange scent from last night-" Luke cut in.

"Must have been the rogues." I finished, all of a sudden breathless.

"It couldn't have been." Jessica stated shocked.

"But it must have! Think about it. What other explanation is there?" Luke insisted.

"Oh my gosh, that's so scary. Just imagine, the rogues were almost right on top of us and we didn't even know it. We could have been ambushed!" Jessica shrieked.

"Oh please, I doubt they would have been able to get the drop on us, I have amazingly fast reflexes I'll have you know." Luke bragged. 

"Yeah right. You? With your skinny little arms and skinny little legs going up against a rogue? I'd put my money on the rogue." Hannah teased.