Chapter 7

"So what was that all about?" Lilly questioned me as soon as I had dragged my feet across the threshold of our flat after work.

"What?"

"We have an auntie now? And she's having a fiftieth birthday party?" She hinted at me.

"Oh that. Pretty good right?" I dropped down onto the sofa. Exhausted seemed to being my usual state of being now.

"But we don't have an auntie who is turning fifty. So why the excuse?"

"Did you forget what night it is tonight?"

"No. maybe. Wait, what's happening tonight?" Lilly asked as she sat down next to me.

"It's a full moon tonight."

Understanding sparked behind Lilly's eyes, her mouth forming an 'oh'.

"Yeah so I thought it was best to have an excuse, both so Indi wouldn't come over as well as an excuse why we won't be home most of the night incase she or Mrs Peairs or someone else swings by."

"Not bad. You've gotten pretty good at lying."

I cringed slightly at how that sounded. "I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not but I shall take is as a compliment regardless."

Moving to stand, I made my way into the kitchen to look for something quick to eat.

"Wait, but what about the pack? Won't we be discovered?"

"There's always a possibility we could be discovered we'll just have to be extra careful tonight that's all, besides it's not like we can miss a full moon night."

Lilly nodded solemnly in agreement.

For werewolves there are only few important rituals throughout our entire lives such as the first change, which usually occurs sometime at the beginning of puberty, the first hunt and the first kill. There are a lot of firsts. But one of our consistent rituals that we continue all throughout our lives is the full moon ritual. 

It's during the full moon, as the name suggests, when we are most in touch with our wolves, the moon and the earth around us. If I were to compare it to something that humans can experience, I suppose it would be something similar to being on a high. It's like having all the good affects that you want without any of the bad after or side affects.

It really is inexplainable the rush that you feel during the full moon. Our senses are heightened, our energy expanded ten-fold. It's our time to reconnect with the other, wilder side of ourselves, to just let loose and leave the rules and expectations of the human world behind. For one night a month we can be free.

But there is also a more serious side to the full moon ritual that has nothing to do with the obvious desirable affects that come with it. Transformations, believe it or not are painful, particularly the first few times, but the full moon night by refreshing our connection to our wolves the shift becomes bearable. 

Our connection to our wolves is like a rusting chain. If we don't take the time to take care of the bond, the connection becomes distant and thus the transformations more painful and intense and then one day it may break all together and one of two things could happen. It's different for everyone and depends on the power balance between the wolf and the human sides. If the human side is stronger, the wolf will disappear and they won't be able to change forms anymore, in other words becoming fully human. If the wolf is stronger which is much more common, the wolf will take over and the human side will disappear and they will be then trapped in that form, never to be human again.

That's why the full moon night is so important to our kind. During this evening when our connections to the moon and the earth are at their peak, we must take wolf form to strengthen this bond to prevent it from breaking or even lessening which, as a side affect will lessen the pain of the transformations in the future.