Chapter Four

Emma

          Will told me all about his pack, and I thought that they sounded like they really cared for each other.

          "Since there are other packs around here, there are rivalries. My pack, the Oakland Pack, and our closest neighbours the West Pack, go way back in the rivalry history. I was told that Stanislaus West, their alpha at the time, had killed my great great great grandfather's mate who had been his girlfriend before she found her mate. My great great great grandfather declared war on the West's and it almost wiped out all of the members of both packs. The rivalry between us is still around, but the West Pack knows to stay off my land," he finished.

           "I have a question," when he nodded I continued. "You said that this West guy took your great great great grandfather's mate. What's a mate?"

            Smirking, he said "A mate is basically a werewolf's soul mate. Your inner wolf is the one that finds your mate first. When it smells the sent, they'll instantly know who their mate is. And it's like love at first sight. The moon goddess puts werewolves together, so they're fated to be together forever, or so I've been told."

             I wasn't sure why, but after the true love and together forever stuff I got a little jealous. "Do you have a mate?" I asked quietly.

              "No, I don't, but I should. Werewolves are supposed to find their mate on their 18th birthday or shortly after it. The mate of the alpha is called the Luna and she is really the only one that can order the alpha around without getting punished. Also, the beta's mate is known as the beta female." I mentally smirked. What are you doing I thought, he is your best friend and only that.

              "Emma, there is something that I still have to tell you," Will looked like he was contemplating on whether or not to fess up. "It's about the night in the forest when you were chased. That wolf scratched you and broke the skin, you know that. But when the skin broke your blood was touched by werewolf claws. And well, you are uh-uh, yourawerewolfnow." he rushed the last part and I couldn't understand what he had said. "Can you say that a little slower, please?"

              "You're a werewolf now, Emma." Will finally brought his stormy grey eyes to mine and let out a quiet and pained chuckle. My eyes were wide and my jaw hit the ground. I didn't know what to think. I knew that Will would never lie to me but I was too shocked.

                "If you don't believe me, then close your eyes and call for your wolf to talk." I did what he said and called on the wolf.

                'Hello?' I said. 'Is any wolf there?' Just as I was about to give up, a female voice spoke up.

                'Took you long enough. I've been sitting here for a whole day waiting.'

                'Um, I'm Emma Michaels, and I guess that you're my wolf.'

                 'Well 'course I am. I'm in your head after all. Oh, and my name's Mackenzie but you can call me Mac.' Mac chirped in my head. I looked at Will with wide eyes and he just laughed at my expression.

                 "I told ya. Um, and uh, if you want to then you're invited to join my pack and I. Only if you want to." he suddenly looked nervous about what my response would be. So, I just nodded and he pulled me into a bear hug, or was it a wolf hug?