Chapter Eleven

Will

     "Will. Will wake up," a strained voice woke me up. I looked around and found that I was laying half on top of Emma.

     "Sorry," I rolled off of her and settled next to her. Emma's hair was messy and disheveled and she was running her fingers through it, trying to pat it down. I reached over and took her hand in mine. Bringing it to my mouth, I kissed her knuckles causing her to blush.

     "Has your d-" I was interrupted by Jace's thoughts entering my mind.

     'Hey, Alp, it's patrol time. I know you're awake and I refuse to let you skip it again. We are a pack of tradition…'

     'Oh shut up,' Drystan growled, annoyed by the fact that we had to leave Emma so soon. 'I'll be there in a few minutes.'

     Focusing my gaze on Emma, again, I sighed and said, "I'm really sorry, but I have to go run border patrol with Jace."

     "Oh, that's alright," left her mouth, but by the fact of her heart beat speeding up slightly, and her thoughts, I knew she felt otherwise.

     "I hate leaving you," I mumbled.

     "I will be fine. If Jace is up, then Ruby must be awake too, so I'll find her or Gabby. You go ahead and do... whatever it is you said," she reassured me.

     "Alright, then I promise we'll do something today," I added. "You have any preference, or ideas?"

     "I do have an idea," if I didn't know her then I might have thought that sentence was going somewhere else. "Mackenzie has been wanting to get out for a while."

     I nodded my understanding, "Then we'll go for a run." Jace came in to my head and threatened to break the door down.

     With a groan, I stood up and took off my sleeping clothes and replaced them with a pair of basketball shorts. "I will be back in an hour and a half," I leaned down and pressed a kiss on my mate's forehead.

     "Bye," I heard Emma mumble as I left the room.

     'Anything in the North corner, Will?' Kiel, one of my trackers who was on patrol with Jace and me, asked.

     'No, just a bunch of squirrels. Jace?'

     'Nothing.'

     'Alright,' I decided once we had all met where we stared, 'you two can head back to the pack house.'

     'Wait,' said Kiel, 'you're letting us off ten minutes early?' I normally didn't let my patrol runners off early, even if it was ten minutes, but normally we found nothing and normally I didn't have a mate waiting for me. Kiel thanked me and dashed off. I saw where he was headed through his thoughts, to find his identical (even in wolf form) twin, Porter, whom he did everything with and for some reason he was thinking how his brother owed him.

     'Will,' Jace turned his head to me, 'Wasn't Kiel supposed to be on patrol with us?'

     Sending him a weird look, I said, 'What are you talking about? That was Kiel.'

     Jace shifted back and pulled on his shorts, "Man, that was Porter. Porter doesn't have a mate yet, Kiel is back at the house with her. I saw them before I left."

     'They switched? Again?' I growled. This was the third time this month.

     Jace nodded, "Don't worry, I got it. I know how much you want to get back to your mate," he teased, then ran.

Emma

     Gabby (A/N. the third in command's mate) had insisted on painting my nails while Ruby picked out an outfit. After they left the room, I sat on the edge of my bed, facing the window and staring at the clock.

     I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my shoulders and a chin gently rested on the top of my head.

     "You ready for that run?" Will asked.

     "Let's go."

°°°

     We ran side by side, Will in his midnight blue wolf and me in my red-brown one.

     When we came to a creek, I stopped and took a drink. After drinking for a minute, I could feel Will's gaze on me and I slowly looked up and the back down and continued drinking.

     'Take a picture, it'll last longer,' I mumbled as innocently as I could.

     Will rolled his eyes, 'You know I can't help it and at the moment I don't have hands, so I can't really take a picture.'

     'Hardy har-har. Very funny, but tell me, would it still be funny if you lost a race to a girl?'

     'Huh? What are you talking about?' Will hadn't even finished his sentence when I was already taking off in the other direction. We ran for several minutes when I noticed that Will was slacking behind. Then, I felt the worry, terror, and apprehension coming off him in waves.

     'Emma!' Will yelled to me. 'Don't go any further.' I stopped in my tracks, but unfortunately I had been running down hill, so I ended up sliding into a tree. When I collided, a brief memory of my first time riding my bike without training wheels and then crashing into our neighbor's mailbox, flashed through my head.

     'I'm okay,' I told him, standing up. 'What's wrong?'

     'This is the border,' I stared with a blank face, confused. ' This is the line where the pack's territory ends, this is the East Corner. One of the smaller pack rules that we try to follow as much as we can is, "Don't cross the territory line in wolf". That's why I wanted you to stop.'

     'What happens if someone crosses anyway?'

     'Depends, last time it happened, the person had to sleep outside, but that's not really a punishment,' he then looked up to the sky, at the moon. 'We should probably head back.'

     Then we heard the howls.