Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Cal's POV)

The next day was cold.

The air was bitter, the sun was hiding behind thick layers of dark clouds, and the wind bit at your cheeks, making them pinkish red. I stood by the kitchen window, staring outside at the trees that were bending and whimpering against the force of the winds.

I frowned and looked away at Holly and Trisha, who were silently making lunch, both grim faced and trying not to lose focus on the task at hand. I couldn't concentrate on helping them anymore and just set the bowls down, departing from the kitchen with a silent excuse that they swiftly took.

I came out into the living room, then blinked in surprise to see Kasper sitting there, his hands folded in his lap and his eyes closed tightly as he sat on the floor.

"Kasper?" I asked. He blinked, jumping a little before looking up at me with a weak smile.

"Cal. Hello." He greeted, taking a moment to glance behind me in case Rylan was nearby, but he was still sleeping upstairs in our dark, dreary room. I could tell Rylan was depressed. He was like that last night when he crawled into bed and curled up beside me. He kept murmuring in his sleep, something about stabbing and I assumed it branched from our argument just a few hours before.

"Rylan's upstairs sleeping," I told Kasper, making him sigh quietly in relief, "He won't bother us. What were you doing just now?" I came over and sat in front of him. Kasper smiled sheepishly.

"I know it's strange, but I was trying to talk to the Goddess. It's not as effective when you don't use the pentagram, but I still feel better doing it." He admitted with a shrug. I smiled.

"That's all right. We're not as strict around here about the meditation and spells. We mostly just follow the guidelines." I responded. Kasper laughed quietly.

"Religion is good at making guidelines... Although, what if you feel unsafe? Worried? You're questioning something?" He asked. I blinked and took a moment to let that sink it.

I'd never thought about it like that. My pack wasn't as big on the religion as others were. We mostly took the rules and set them before us. We let the Goddess choose our mates. The rituals we did were based on the religion, of course, but that was about all we've done to prove our faith. It was a little unnerving.

Kasper was right. It wasn't just a backbone of regulations, but a comfort zone you could go to when no one else was there to listen.

"Here," Kasper said, taking my hands in his, surprising me with how soft they were, "Take my hands and sit close enough so that our knees are touching. Place your palms over mine, then close your eyes and just relax. Clear your mind of all things, particularly the negatives. Just breath gently through your nose."

I was hesitant to try, but curiosity led me to obey so our knees were touching. We sat on the wooden floor, palms together laying flat. I closed my eyes and relaxed my muscles.

Cleared my mind of everything.

One by one I saw my worries and troubles slowly get sucked out through a whole in a white wall. Everything just sort of vanished before the black hole sucked itself into non-existence as well, leaving me alone.

Alone with the sound of my own breathing and Kasper's. The sound of birds outside, twittering and flying around for a place to hide from the cold winds. Said winds whispered and tickled itself through the trees that rustled and danced. Leaves fluttered through the air, swirling, curling, before landing in the grass.

That was all I could get.

For a moment, I was confused.

Then it hit me what Kasper meant by this.