No Greater Love

Demetria held her head high as she marched through the woods. She had put on a clean grey dress and had twisted her hair into a braid that fell over her shoulder. Her face was washed clean with no signs of tears. Despite all of this and the courage she felt, her heart still race. The woods were quiet until the lion walked beside her and spoke.

"What are you going to do?" He asked, even though she got the feeling that he already knew the answer.

"You said it yourself," She said her green eyes filled with fire. "No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends." He said nothing in response but let her place her hand on his mane, burying her fingers in the thick fur. The river came into view and her hand dropped back to her side as he disappeared. Stopping to take a deep breath, Demetria looked through the trees. Miraz had built a bridge across the river and his troops were preparing to cross. With her heart hammering in her ears Demetria stepped out onto the open banks of the river. In an instant, a dozen crossbows were aimed at her. She didn't raise her hands as she took a few tentative steps towards the bridge.

"I am Demetria Alexandria Telama," She spoke loudly for them all to hear, "daughter of Roma Loran Marian and Miraz Farson Telma. And I," She leveled her gaze at the smirking General Glozelle, "Am here to speak with my father."

#

"Caspian!" Edmund jogged up to the older boy, placing a hand on his arm as they both came to a stop. "Have you seen Demetria?"

"No." Caspian frowned, "I thought she was with you."

"I haven't seen her since this morning, just after breakfast." Edmund said, then a memory resurfaced. He raked his hands through his hair as he began to pace. "Oh she better not have..."

"What?" Caspian asked, one hand coming to rest on the hilt of his sword. Edmund went to answer, tell Caspian what Peter had said about Demi visiting her father, but Glenstorm came running up.

"Miraz has arrived." Glenstorm announced and Edmund kicked a nearby rock, barely feeling the pain in his toes. As if things couldn't get any worse. Okay, first things first. He needed to get Peter, and they needed to figure out what to do. Maybe somebody else had seen Demi and Edmund was getting worked up over nothing.