Chapter 18// The End

"You've got ten minutes boys" Paul said as he slammed the door, leaving Jess in a predicament that she never wanted to be in. They stood in a line, staring at her, waiting for her to come up with an explanation, she had been rehearsing what she would say if she ever saw them again, although all she had planned doing today was spying on them, she hadn't counted on Louis Tomlinson, now she couldn't speak, words just wouldn't come out of her mouth, and she was pretty sure that if she opened her mouth, the only thing that would come out, is vomit.

It was Liam that made the first move, breaking his place in the centre of the line to engulf Jess in a hug, and that was it, the floodgates opened and before she knew it, she was sobbing into Liam's chest with 4 pairs of arms wrapped around her, holding her tightly, everyone except Harry, who just stood watching. They hugged her and held her tight, Jess thought they would never let her go, and she didn't want them too, but she knew that time was short and she needed to get her point across, she shrugged them off and used all her will to tear her arms from around Liam's waist, pulling her face out of his chest, and placed herself in the centre of the small, box like room, preparing to perform to her evidence.

"you guys have to stop trying to find me" she finally said "I'm getting at leave ten letters a week to confirm my whereabouts, I didn't want to be found"

"Jess you left, with no explanation..." Liam spoke up, clearly nominating himself as spoke person for the group "we were so worried, Harry hasn't slept for months"

"I never meant to worry you..."

"well you did... Is it Jack? Is Jack back?"

Liam's questioned knocked Jess for six, she really had genuinely thought that they would have brought the fact that she was a bitch and had left because she couldn't cope with the stress, when what she should have known is that the boys had known her better than that, in the short time they had spent together, the boys had become her family. The little brothers she never wanted, the best friends she needed, the lovers she wished she still had. As she looked at the boys quizzical faces, she knew she had two options, lie, or tell he truth.

"yes" she chose the truth, she lifted up her left hand and flexed her ring finger, showing a simple, but effective cut diamond stone, set on a white gold band.

"are you actually being serious?" Louis said "we've been convinced he's doing all sorts to you, and your marrying the guy!"

"you look like you need a good meal Jess" Liam continued "and did he do that to your arm?"

"I fell" Jess had taken to lying again, like a duck took to water, it really was just like riding a bike "guys, he needs me..."

At first, Jess couldn't pin point where the mumbling was coming from, then she realised. Harry was finally talking to her, she looked at his face for the first time since entering the room, her feelings for Harry Styles were still as strong as ever, she blinked back the tears as she imagined her life without him, but it's the way it had to be. She was doing this for him, she had to keep reminding herself, she was doing this for him.

"he needs you? HE NEEDS YOU! Jess are you being serious??"Harry was shouting now "what about Liam when he had his health scare, not long after you walked out on us? Or Louis and Eleanor? Why weren't you there for him then, like he was there for you? And Zayns getting married, do you know that? And me Jess, what about me?"

She is watched as Louis draped his arms over his best friends shoulders and felt a twinge of jealousy, all she wanted was for Harry to be safe, all she wanted to protect him, this was the only way she knew how, by breaking his heart.

"I'm sorry Harry, I... I" she couldn't bring herself to say it.

"you what Jess? Come on spit it out..." Harry pushed.

"I love him!" Jess spilled, hoping it sounded more natural, than it felt actually saying it.

Liam walked over to Jess and placed his hand on her cheek, she looked up into his deep eyes "we can help you Jess, we are always here for you, please, don't do this again... Don't go back to him now, I'm begging you to stay with us..."

Jess gently pushed his arm away from her face and dropped her eyes to the floor. Her resolve was being tested, she just wanted to agree with them, to stay with them, but how long would it be this time until Jack found her? Until he found Harry? Or any of the boys? why way was that to live your life? For any of them to live their lives? Her subconscious took her back to that first night after she had met Harry, where she was staggering the streets covered in blood, pulling out Harry's phone number from her bra and dialling it, it was the biggest regret of her life. If only she had stayed in and let Jack win, none of these amazing guys would have been involved, they would be free, and now she was doing what was right, setting them free.

"I don't want that Liam, I love him" she was repeating herself, hoping she was beginning to sound more convincing.

The door swung open and Paul peered in "guys we really can't wait any longer..."

"two minutes paul, please" Jess could hear the desperation in Zayns voice.

"I'll wait guys" she said "I'll wait"

Louis stood next to her and looked down at her, before kissing the top of her head "promise? We won't be long patch"

Jess felt a warmth rush through her at the sound of her old pet name "I promise"

"I wouldn't count on it" Harry mumbled, following Paul out the door "apparently her promises mean nothing..."

*********

Harry immediately regretted the way he spoke to Jess, and wished he could take it back, but there was a line of girls waiting to see him and he knew, no matter what was going on behind closed doors, he had a responsibility, but it didn't stop him rushing away from his seat as soon as he got the all clear it was over from Paul, he swung open the door, only to find an empty room. He rushed around asking anyone if they had seen her, before returning back to the room, to find Zayn holding five envelopes.

"we found these in here mate" Zayn whispered, Handing out the envelopes, addressed to each of the boys "she's gone"

Harry stared at the brown paper Zayn had just handed him, he didn't want to open it, if he opened it, it would all be final, and she would really be gone. The others had began to open there's Liam was staring into his packet with disbelief "what has she done?" he whispered.

Harry slowly began to open his, them continued to stare at its contents, it was full off cash, Jess was giving them back the money she had used while she was with them, as he looked around the shock expressions on the guys faces told him they had the same parcel. Harry noticed a piece of paper, slotted in between the bundles of cash, and pulled it out, a tear fell from his face as he noticed the distinctive scribble of Jess Magee.

I Love You Harry Styles.

It was a too much for him, she slid down the wall and let the emotion take control of him, he had failed, failed to save her and now she was lost. The boys just looked at him, because they knew they were defeated, she was gone, it was over.

nym