Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

“Good for you girl,” Glory said and nodded for Reggie to take a seat on the plastic covered couch across from her.

Reggie did as the imperious old woman asked. Gloriana James could give the Queen of England a run for her money.

"What - How does -" Reggie Stuttered. "Is it going to hurt?"

Glory smiled at the girl gently. She thought Reggie’s predicament was terrible, she bleed for the girl, she truly did. Reggie would, without a doubt, be everything that Shannon could ever want or need in a girl. It was heart breaking, but this was for the best. There will always be someone else to love you. And her Shannon was a stunning girl, she wont be alone for long.

“No,” Glory assured her. “It’s not death, it’s a journey, and it won’t be painful. It’s where you are supposed to be. It should feel natural.”          

“What do I have to do?”

“Nothing, I just need your permission.” Glory explained.She didnt remember much about the her life as a child in Croatia, about the magic her people possesed, but she did remember some things. Namely the death rites, the were hammered into her every day as a young girl.

Ghostly tears gathered in the corner of Reggie's blue eyes at the thought of leaving Shannon for good. Her lips moved, whispering the words it's for the best for the millionth since she left their room. "how long do I have left?" She asked, hoping desperately the answer would be a lon, long time. 

“I should wait to do the ritual during the dark moon; it’s the best possible time.”

A few weeks. It could have been worse. “Why?”

Glory waved her hand dismissively. “Because the barriers are strongest while the moon is dark, that means you can’t get caught anywhere you’re not meant to be.”

“Does my granddaughter know you’re here?” she added.

“No,” Reggie replied shaking her head.

“Don’t you think she should?”

“Shannon won’t let me,” Reggie admitted. Hell, she hardly wanted to be here herself. The thought of leaving her Shannon behind made her heart hurt. “Can you write something to her from me?”

Glory glared at the girl. “I’m old, not illiterate,” she snapped.

Reggie raised her hands above her head.

“Shannon is rubbing off on you.” Glory said and picked up the pad and pen that was on the coffee table and sat down in her chair. “I’m ready, speak.”

“I have no door,” Shannon said as she entered her room.

Reggie smiled when she saw her. “No one does, there was a problem with some of the frames so your mother is getting them all replaced.”

“Were you spying on the builders?” Shannon joked.

Reggie frowned at her. “It was a loud conversation; your father didn’t want to replace all the frames, only the rotted ones.”

“How am I supposed to shower?”

“Your mother is bringing sheets to hang over the frames.”

“Like we’re living in a tent,” Shannon sighed, pulling off her uniform. “Let’s go for a walk, I feel kind of exposed.”

“We are,” Reggie agreed and got to her feet. “And to be honest, with no doors everyone can hear every word you say so you’re coming across as a crazy person.”