Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“Holy Shit,” Shannon said, her eyes wide in shock.

When their eyes met, Regina’s widened in shock. It worked, Regina thought to herself. I’m back.

“Regina?” Hearing her name on this girl’s lips filled her with hope.

As she watched the petite brunette get to her feet, Regina was still. The look of awe and happiness shocked her to her core. She had never expected to illicit any emotion other than fear again. She thought Libby had been perfect, but she was wrong. Shannon King, in her long pink skirt that clashed horribly with her green nails, was perfect.

“Shannon,” she said softly, the name rolling off her tongue like it belonged there.

Shannon grinned when she heard Regina say her name. She reached out her hand to touch the girl’s face, but she never made contact. The skin of Regina’s face dissolved into silvery mist around Shannon’s fingers.

Shannon felt like her heart broke a little bit at not being able to touch the girl.

“Is she here?” Joanie asked breaking Shannon from the trance she was in.

“Yeah,” Shannon said, her eyes still fixed on the beautiful girl in front of her. “Can you not see her?”

“No, but I think I heard her,” Joanie said. “Gravelly voice, said your name, sounds like she’s been watching you change.”

Shannon saw Regina’s pale skin flush and realised it was true. Shannon felt like she should be creeped out by a girl spying on her, but she felt kind of flattered. She had never had someone as beautiful as Regina interested in her before. Jess was pretty, not that the slut counts, but she was nothing compared to the blond girl before her.

“I’m kind of all right with that,” Shannon said and Joanie burst into laughter.

“Ghost girl’s a hottie, huh?” she said between giggles. “I thought all women back then were dogs.”

“Sexy lesbians,” Ben interrupted, looking to the heavens like he couldn’t believe his luck. “Flick, could you become a lesbian?” he asked his girlfriend.

“No,” she said simply and ruffled his hair.

Jordan scrunched up his nose like he couldn’t think of anything grosser than lesbians.

Shannon shook her head at Ben. “She’s like, our age.” She told Joanie, ignoring the boys.

“Nineteen,” Regina confirmed, becoming fed up with them talking about her like she wasn’t there.

“Sorry,” Shannon apologised to her. “She said she was nineteen,” she told the others, “when she died.”

“You guys,” Flick said, looking at Shannon’s expression. “I think we should probably go. I need to get back to school anyway.” That girl didn’t miss a thing.

“Right,” Ben agreed after looking at Flick. “Joanie, Jordan, I’ll drop you guys off.”

The four of them left the room, leaving the two girls alone.

Shannon and Regina stood in silence before Regina opened her mouth. “Can I go outside?” She asked, looking at the darkening sky outside the window.

Shannon shrugged. “I don’t know. Is it part of your ghost rules?” she asked.

“I used to go outside, before he cast the spell. I went to see my father just after I died.” Regina explained. “Did it say anything about him, in your file?”