Chapter Nineteen

Chapter nineteen

“Are you ready to go home?” Reggie whispered, running her long, elegant fingers across the planes of Shannon’s face.

Shannon sighed and shivered, and looked out the window at the sun fighting to be seen through the dark rain clouds. “I guess,” she said reluctantly.

A thought flitted trough Shannon’s foggy brain, and it took a few seconds for them to make sense. Ten she sat up abruptly and looked down and Reggie lying there. “You didn’t leave Kelly and Missy alone did you?”

Reggie scoffed and shoved Shannon softly. “I’m from the 1800’s, I’m not a crack head. Even we didn’t leave children at home alone.”

Shannon had to repress a truly inappropriate smile considering the events of the night before. But that’s what Reggie did to her, she made Shannon smile. “You guys had the industrial revolution, you invented child labour.”

“We invented child labour laws,” Reggie said and kissed Shannon softly on the lips that couldn’t hide the smile. “But no, your friends Ben and Flick turned up out of the blue. They are babysitting the babies, so I could babysit you.”

“Good, but I can’t leave them alone with Missy and Kelly any longer. That’s not fair to anyone.”

Reggie pulled herself up off the bed, and tugged on the sneakers that were sitting next to the bed. Shannon winced when she saw them, they were Fiona’s trainers. Shannon breathed through the guilt and pain and got up to rifle through the pile of shoes in the corner of Joanie’s room for some that would fit.

Reggie and Joanie walked into the living room hand in hand were they found Joanie stretched out on the couch watching reruns of South Park.

“Are you guys leaving?” Joanie asked with a yawn.

“Um yeah,” Shannon said, feeling awkward. “Thanks for everything.”

“It’s fine,” Joanie said. “But when things settle down, you and I are going to have a good, long talk, do you hear me, Gypsy Witch?”

Shannon nodded, while Reggie and Joanie shared a reluctant smile.

They walked down in silence, hands clasped tightly.

“I never thought that I’d be able to do something like this,” Reggie said softly.

“Do what?” Shannon asked with a frown.

Reggie shook their linked hands. “This,” she said. “Hold hands with the girl I love, kiss in the middle of the street,” Reggie paused to peck Shannon briefly on the lips. “I never thought I’d allowed to be in love with a girl. Your world blows my mind Shannon.”

“You blow my mind, Reggie,” Shannon said and then pulled a silly face.

Reggie kissed her again, this time more fiercely.

Shannon pulled back reluctantly when a car full of high school boys drove past, honking and wolf whistling.

“And I should probably also thank you from talking my down from the edge.” Shannon pulled their entwined hands up to her mouth for a kiss.

“Speaking of the edge,” Reggie said cryptically. “I think you should call your father.”

“But…” Shannon trailed off. “Okay.”

Reggie passed Shannon her phone and took a step back to give her some space.

The phone rang a few times before a very tired sounding Harrison answered the phone.