Chapter 22

He'd never been in the cave before, so most of the area was new to him.

They were taken up a series of stairs and slops, all the way to the top. He was seriously starting to wonder exactly how deep they were when they suddenly emerged into a room.

It wasn't much different to the one in their headquarters. Slightly larger, but not much. It was decorated similarly, and he felt sick. Again, Talona stood on her perch like a throne on a raised platform, stone steps leading upwards. The area was packed with monsters of all kinds. There were already a few other soldiers there, also chained, some confused, some frightened, some angry. Guards stood in every corner. Somehow, the fire too had been moved to here. Was it just him, or was it burning larger?

"Hello again." He could swear that the harpy was smiling. "Welcome to our new headquarters."

"This isn't your territory!" He snarled.

"But it is now. The Icewarden tried to flee, but we trapped him again within his own territory. He is out of action now. You will not expect any help from him."

He cursed. She seemed to smile.

"I suppose you're wondering why I called you here."

"To decide our deaths?"

"No. Instead, I'm here to give you an offer."

"Oh, lovely. What, exchange our souls to fight for you? Sacrifice ourselves to the Shade-touched fire so that we may join your side?"

"Not even close." She jumped down, sweeping outwards with her wing as if she were addressing everyone within the room, including her allies. "Here you are. Lost. Defeated. With no hope of escape. You may say, 'Oh the others will come.' The other ten flights will rescue us. You have no chance against all of them."

"But that's where you're wrong. We already have the entire Icefields secured. Soon, the rest of the world be too. We have plans. Big plans. And they will work."

"Who rallies the troops in the first place? I did. Who sent the Emperor to pillage your lairs? I did."

"What's left but to despair?" She paused, facing the wall. "Yes, that's what I want you to do, actually. Forget about everything. Drown in your sorrows, for the end is nigh. I am here to completely eliminate you and your friends from this war. So scream at me. Pour out all of your hate."

He narrowed his eyes. Where was she going with this?

"You all think I'm cruel. In reality, I'm not."

Bullshit.

"Instead of executing you without reason, I am willing to offer you a chance."​ She turned around, striding in front of each one of them in turn. "Two days ago, two of your number managed to make it out of our original headquarters alive, killing three of the Beastclan representatives when the ceiling collapsed." She looked straight at him, still talking. Her gaze unnerved him.

"No matter. They have been replaced. No losses were made."

"But that's not the point." She hopped back on her perch, sighing dramatically. "It'd be a waste to let your strengths go to waste. So here's your option."

"You reject your god. You join me and the Shade's side. In return for your allegiance, you will receive power beyond imagination. All you have to do is say yes."

"No way!" Someone shouted at the back. "And become one of your mindless minions? I'd rather eat a rotten slug then do that!" Ajax had to give serious credit to whoever said that.

"This is different. Those dragons you fought were dead already. You'll still have complete control over your actions. The only thing that'll change is your ability."